Question regarding LOTE ATAR bonus (1 Viewer)

isaac_mewton

HSC
Apparently 10% of a LOTE score is added to the ATAR as a bonus. Is this bonus added as a part of the formal ATAR which contributes to General Exhibitions, rankings in state etc. or is it simply used for people applying to particular universities? I'm asking mainly in terms of WACE but the system may be the same for HSE/VCE.

The reason I enquire is because many of the top WA General Exhibitions and 99.95s are awarded to students who undertake a LOTE. Apparently it's only for certain universities, which would hint to the fact that it is not used in the formal rankings. Not sure though, can anyone shed some light?

Asking because I can continue my LOTE if it means a higher ATAR, but I do not want to.

tantantan

HSC
omg pls pls if anyone knows please reply, your wisdom would be appreciated
i love my Lote and i am good at lote

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
As an incentive for WACE students to study a Language Other Than
English (LOTE), Curtin University and The University of Western
Australia provide a bonus to students who achieve a scaled score in a
School Curriculum and Standards Authority (formerly Curriculum Council)
approved LOTE course. This results in a Selection Rank higher than your
ATAR, if you have studied a LOTE course from 2011 onwards. This
Selection Rank is then used, in place of the lower ATAR, for admission to
Curtin and UWA courses.
http://www.tisc.edu.au/static-fixed/guide/slar-2013.pdf

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
We don't have 10% type bonus LOTE in NSW (or in VCE? I think) but subjects that you perform well in for certain degree i.e for a science degree getting a band 6 in physics may entitle you to two bonus points at USYD (which gets added to your ATAR by UNI during university course offers).

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Tertiary Entrance Aggregate (TEA)
In 2008 the TEA (Tertiary Entrance Aggregate) replaced the TES (Tertiary Entrance Score). The TEA will be calculated by adding a student's best four scaled scores plus 10% of that student's best Language Other Than English (LOTE) scaled score, based on the following rules:
For the best four scaled scores, you may accumulate scaled scores which contribute to your ATAR over five consecutive years, with no subject or course counting more than once.
There are unacceptable course combinations whereby scores in both courses/subjects cannot both be used.
A LOTE bonus of 10% of a LOTE scaled score is added to the aggregate of the best four scaled scores, subject to no LOTE scaled score earlier than 2011 being used. From 2016 Year 12, LOTE scaled scores must be from current or the previous four years. If more than one LOTE has been sat, only one (the best) LOTE scaled score can be used as the LOTE bonus. You receive the LOTE bonus irrespective of whether your LOTE course was counted as one of the best four.
The maximum TEA is 410.

http://www.tisc.edu.au/static/guide/atar-about.tisc

isaac_mewton

HSC
I don't understand, in one sentence it states that the bonus is only added if you are applying for UWA or Curtin. It also says, however, that the maximum TEA is 410 owing to the bonus which suggests that you need to do a language to get a TEA of 400+ (ie. you must do a language if you want to get a, let's say, top 5 General Exhibition). Perhaps TISC is associated with these certain universities or speaking on behalf of them.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't understand, in one sentence it states that the bonus is only added if you are applying for UWA or Curtin. It also says, however, that the maximum TEA is 410 owing to the bonus which suggests that you need to do a language to get a TEA of 400+ (ie. you must do a language if you want to get a, let's say, top 5 General Exhibition). Perhaps TISC is associated with these certain universities or speaking on behalf of them.
From the sound of it I think it gets added to your TEA automatically so it wouldn't matter what uni you apply for..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)