Question PLEASE ANSWER :) (1 Viewer)

KAty

Can somebody please answer the question 28(c) (ii) from the 2001 HSC paper and tell me what they get cause i dont know if im right

i got
SA= 2400N
SA=600N + 1800

The question requires two answers

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Answer

I looked up the question on the board of studies site.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2001exams/pdf_doc/gen_mathemat_01.pdf

Question 28, c) ii)

This is the answers l got

First of all l worked out the TSA (Total Surface Area)

30 x 5 = 150 150 x 4 =600

30 x 30 = 900 900 x 2 = 1800

1800 + 600 = 2400.

Now the question for two is to write a formula for the surface area of N individual boxes AND determine a formula for the surface area of a stack of N boxes...

There are 3 individual and 3 stacked.

The individual three, for the total surface areas all added up l got 7200 (2400 x 3)

For the Stacked l got 3600 as the total surface area.

For the formula l am guessing you would write something like:

Individual = (30 x 5 x 4) + (30 x 30 x 2) x N
Stacked =(5 x N x 30 x 4) + (30 x 30 x 2)

I am not confident of this answer though, l am not quite sure how to write the formula. If someone could possibly double check it ...the stacked formula doens't look right, but l'll keep working on it.... When l put it into my calculator it works out...but l dunno...l'm not sure if N has to be the subject or not...l just have that feeling!! Hope it helps anyways!!

EDIT: I hope you can understand it... in basic terms...l found out the TSA of 1 box...l X that by 3. That gave me the individual 3 boxes. I found out the TSA of the stacked...using 15 instead of 5 (3 stacked..5 x 3 = 15) and did the calculations that way.

Last edited:

KAty

Sarah #1

YEah thats what i got although i just simplified my answer
im really annoyed i didnt see my teacher before we finished school
im going through the 2001 and 2002 papers and there are a few things i really dont get

is anyone else doing the same as me??

i found the whole of Q28 in 2002 really hard !

i cant post question 28(A) cause its a diagram but if anyone has it and can be bothered helping me PLEASE DO :)

have a go at this question:

(iv) Toby has a long term plan. When he has finished Year 12 he wants to go to uni for 3 years and then thake a back-packing trip around the world.
By the end of 2001 Toby had saved $900 from his earnings and sketeched out the following plan for saving money:

* In Year 9 (2001) i saved $900 (interest included)

* For each year while still at school, save 30% more than i saved the previous year (interest included)

* At the end of Year 12 (2004), deposit total savings in an account paying 4% per annum interest, compounded annually

*Add $2500 to the account at the end of each of the three years while at uni

Tobys goal is to have $15000 in his account at the end of 2007

Will he achive this goal if he follows the above plan? Show all your calculations to justify your answer

I know its a long question but i needddd your help pleaseee somebody lol :)

Last edited:

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Okay, i gave this a shot coz i a hella bored, and this is what i came up with:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2001 (Year 9)
Start: $900
End: $900

2002 (Year 10)
Start: $900
+ ($900 * 0.3)
End: $1170

2003 (Year 11)
Start: $1170
+ ($1170 * 0.3)
End: $1521

2004 (Year 12)
Start: $1521
+($1521 * 0.3)
End: $1977.30

Total at End of School = $5568.30

Then deposit that into bank at 4%p.a.

2005 (1st Year Uni)
Start: $5568.30
+ (0.04 * $5568.30) Bank Interest
+ $2500
End: $8291.032

2006 (2nd Year Uni)
Start: $8921.032
+ (0.04 * $8921.032) Bank Interest
+ $2500
End: $11122.67328

2007 (3rd Year Uni)
Start: $11122.67328
+ (0.04 * $11122.67328) Bank Interest
+ $2500
End: $14067.58

Therefore no, Toby will not have achieved his goal and hence not be able to go backpacking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, by no means am I saying am I right with this. I am assuming that Toby is entering the money into the account after the interest is added. By all means I am probably wrong as I did this on my phone calculator Hopefully itll make some sense and be close enough to the answer let me know how close (or far off) I actually am.

MADDOGZ
xox

Benno

HSC
omg my friend and I were talkin about this 2day! freaky. she did the HSC last year and said this question took her ages and was 3 pages long (she got 86 in the exam)

Jeo

3 pages? even a 4U question shouldn't take 3 pages

KAty

Hey benno that was a mad mark i wish i get that ! :)

Well im still not sure with that question but thanks for trying maddog

I downloaded the makring guidelines and this was the marking criteria for that question in order to achieve full marks:

Comprehensive justification of answer with calculations showing savings year 9-12, compund interest (2005 - 2007) and future value of additional $2500 added (2005-2007). Working must be shown.

I dont understand why they would use the future value formula buy anywayz .
Hey maddog do you think that u should add the $2500 before the interest is calculate or after???

I HATE MATHS

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I don't know why you do, you seem to be OK at it, and hey that was a tough question. I really enjoy maths, because l am the top of my class!

KAty

hey im at the top of the class too but there isnt much competition at my school for general maths

my confidence level is zero at the moment :( i hate when i cant do questions hahaha

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
haha... I'm top of maths at my school TOO!!! this must be where the Jenny (general maths) legends come!

Katy: whether you should add the $2500 before or after the interest is calculated, was a great question... I'm still thinking about it... In my posted answer i added the interest before i put in the money, however thinking about it, if Toby entered the money before adding the interest - you would have a completely new set of values to work with (and I'm assuming that Toby therefore WOULD have reached his target!

Anyways - I'd really like to know what the answer for the HSC was. It's really bugging me.

Does anybody else find maths one of the most practical subjects to study for??? I mean all you need to know is how to apply formulas and how to think laterally and you're pretty sweet. I find the best way to study is to do just practice papers, practice papers and MORE practice papers... Do it under timed conditions, to simulate the HSC (that way you'll think the HSC is just another paper...) And if you fuck up questions in the paper, just go back over it and learn the part/topic better... How does everybody else find the best way to study?

- M A D D O G Z -
:)

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
I just had another brainstorm!!!

In the question, it could be asked as an annuities question maybe??? Because you are adding a value at a certain period... It could work... I'd need to go get my gfx calc, and i can't be bothered... haha

Have a good day

- M A D D O G Z -

KAty

Hey maddogz well when im studying for maths i just do question from different books and look back through my textbook and make sure i know how to do everything

But you know there are still formulas that we need to know that are not on the formula sheet for e.g. the formul to calculate yield!
i didnt even know what it was cause we havent done it !
Maybe my class did in year 11 but i dropped from 2 unit so i missed it...
i didnt even know they could test on prelim in the HSC ! im fuked lol
I dont know what the answer was STILL haha
that question is really annoying i would have killed myself if i got that question in the HSC but we will prob get one thats heaps harder than that one haha
i posted the marking guidelines for that question though :)
what school do you go to >>

KAty

Hey maddogzz youe answer to question 28(b) iv. was right :)

But instead of working out the 4% per every year of uni it is easier to use the future value formula and the compund interest formula. I.E.

I=P(1=r) to the power of n
I= 5568.3(1+0.04)cubed
I= 6263.58

the use the future value formula for the $2500 will give: $7804

Add 7804+ 6263.58 = 14067.58

haha im happy now (im such a loser) lol
h

i second that katy!;)

by the way..... i have consulted someone of high mathematical ability and they are under the impression that the 2500 must be added after interest

glad to be of help.....
see you at woolongong katy:D

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
hey katy... I'm at knox. how about you? How's ur studying going?
That's true - you could use the future value formula - hadn't thought of it that way... I just did it the non-logical way hahaha! Oh well! I'm so stoked it was right... hahaha... I so thought i was gonna be wrong... Oh well... I'm so TIRED!!!!! GARH! brothers birthday, hectic... I'm out - peace
- M A D D O G Z -

connie

HSC
N/A
i just dropped to general a couple of months ago (biggest mistake ever) i am aiming for a 100 in it so if you have any more hard questions i wouldnt mind giving them a go

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Connie, and all... Thought I'd get some harder type questions, and put them up for you all.... SO, here goes...

Inflation in Australia was 9%. In the year 2000, a can of soft drink cost $1.65. Use the formula P=1.65(1.09)[to the power of]n where P is the price of a can of soft drink and n is the number of years after the year 2000, to find in what year the price of a can of soft drink will reach $4.00

There are 12 books on a shelf. There are 5 Biology books and 7 Chemistry books. What is the probability of randomly selecting AT LEAST two Biology books if any three books are picked from the shelf?

a) You have decided to invest some money into your future for a 2 year trip around the world. You believe that to accomplish this you will need to invest $2500 every 6 months for 20 years at 5% pa. Find the value of the annuity after 20 years.
b) Calculate the amount of interest that has been earned.
c) Explain briefly what you could do so your annuity could be of a higer value that in part (a) by still investing the SAME AMOUNT each year at the SAME PER ANNUM INTEREST RATE. Explain briefly why this works.

Well there are three questions to ponder over... Post your answers or problems you have with these, and i'll see if i can take time from my studies to help you...

- M A D D O G Z -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)