Question on natural resources (1 Viewer)

lum

HSC
in my trial, there was a qs that said:
The large=scale use of many occurring chemical products had led to the shrinkage of world resources.

i) identify one natural resource that is not a fossil fuel where its continual supply has become a problem. 1mark

ii) Identify and describe a material that has been developed to replace the natural resource. 2marks

i got zero for my answers, which were:

i) Soaps' supply became a problem in the world in 1950s as the material needed to make soap, which is fats and oils of animals, were demanded for other purposes such as in food. this lack of fats/oils meant there was a problem in the supply of soap.

ii) Soap is no longer made by fats and oils of animals, but instead made by synthetic methods where the fat/oil does not come from animals. A synthetic ester (fat/oil) is reacted with OH(basic solution) which creates a Glycerol and the salt of the fat/oil, which is also known as soap. An example of a ester is ethylethanoate. By using synthetic sources, we have been able to replace the natural resource with a synthetic (man made) resource.

can anyone help me wat i should have written instead?

richz

well, im not doing soaps, but according to my CCHC book, that sounds a good answer to me, show ur teacher the CCHC book, i believe u shud get the marks :rolleyes:

lum

HSC
lol, thx, my teacher thinks otherwise... and the marks hav been finalised so i can't change them anymore, but i'm just interested in opinions of other hsc ppl on how they'd have answered the qs

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
If you appeal to your teacher and they still don't accept it go to your principal or someone higher up the chain of command than your teacher. That's what it is there for...

IcEy

HSC
You can use wool and rubber.
Strictly speaking, soaps still ARE made from fats and oils.
Synthetic detergents aren't soaps, they're different and they have different properties.

Maybe you haven't answered (b) properly. Sounds like they want synthetic wool or something. :-S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)