question on EXTRA UAI marks for ESL students (dont know if sb has asked already b4..) (1 Viewer)

ne plus ultra

HSC
can ESL student get EXTRA UAI marks in HSC?

asking these question because i heard from one of my friends who is studying ESL as well. he said we can get 5 UAI marks in HSC. however there is other people said '3~5 UAI marks' while some more other said 'at least 1' or 'nothing'. i m lost.

btw, what the different between 'ESL student' and 'international(oversea) student'?
the 'ESL students' in my title and question = student being in australia for less than 5 years.

HSC
No, not all ESL students get extra UAI marks. the extra marks are only for international students and fee paying domestic students (in another words people who pay to get more marks)

and the difference between ESL students and international students is:

International students are students who pay huge amount of money to come to Australia and study, they have visa instead of Australia residency or citizen.

while ESL students are any students that came from a non-english speaking country to Australia in less than 5 years. So they may include new Australia residents and citizens and international students.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I am not sure whether the EAS scheme still exsit. The disadvantage scheme, where people who are in ESL, or have financial reasons can apply for the EAS thing. You don't actually get bonous 5 UAI marks on your UAI, but when you apply for various university courses, if your UAI is less than that of the cut-off, they MAY consider accepting you, under the EAS scheme.

Please consult your Career advisor for more information.

HSC
Yes, EAS still exist. it includes the people have who being in Australia after 2000(or 2001). So if you're an ESL student but not international student, you may still get some extramarks (or lower UAI needed) to enter the uni.

ne plus ultra

HSC
thank you very much. i got it.

btw, what is EAS? is it a special scheme about bonous or advice for non-english speaking student?

HSC
It's "Educational Access Scheme" which helps students who have been disadvantaged in some way. it includes Language difficulties, financial hardship(eg. Youth Allowance), Death of family, etc.

You can ask your career adviser for further info. But usually he/she will mention it to u when you're in year 12 and he/she will give u a form to fill out. and some documents you need to give as proofs.

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
International students don't get extra UAI
They just can apply under DFEE which is usually lower than CSP place

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
In my opinion, it still exists as far as I am aware.

This doesn't necessarily give you 5 Bonus UAI on your existing UAI (i.e. if you got 95 UAI, that doesn't mean you got 100 UAI under the scheme).

I think this program gives you the "power" to be enrolled into some degrees that are above your UAI. But this does not guarantee your place & there are some degrees where this bonus UAI cannot be applied. (e.g. Adv Science (Advanced Mathematics) at USYD and Med from the top of my head)

KokoNut

HSC
Re: question on EXTRA UAI marks for ESL students (dont know if sb has asked already b

one of my friend got uai 96.XX in 2007, she said she had extra marks (3-5)because she only studied in australia for one and a half year..is that true??? Or because she's esl..
im soooo confused by these marks...> <

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Re: question on EXTRA UAI marks for ESL students (dont know if sb has asked already b

one of my friend got uai 96.XX in 2007, she said she had extra marks (3-5)because she only studied in australia for one and a half year..is that true??? Or because she's esl..
im soooo confused by these marks...> <
It means she applied for the EAS scheme for language difficulty, supported by the fact that she was doing ESL.

KokoNut

HSC

It means she applied for the EAS scheme for language difficulty, supported by the fact that she was doing ESL.
:rofl:Okkkkkay..so i'd better apply one as well, maximise my mark..lol
will school help students to apply or i should apply by myself?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

Every school is different. Your ESL teacher may provide some help. In some school, the career advisor will be able to help.

kusokc

HSC

look.. not sure if anyone could help this out..

i spoke to my careers advider about that too ..

since i been to AUstrlia for almost 6 yrs, but still i am doing HSC ESL,

i told my careers adviser that i wanna apply for EAS , he simply rejected by i been here too long.. but still i still wanna the chance to maximise my uai though..

Despite using language diffulity as a reason , so.. can u apply under financial hardship, since i receive youth allowance and i work part time ... can i use this as a excuse to be disadvantage to study and hopefully get 1 or 2 uai pehaps...

ps. i am a citizen...

anyone help me out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)