Question on Engineering flexible first year (1 Viewer)

sangboi

HSC
Question on flexible first year engineering.

The flexible first year program is designed to give everyone like a basic broad view of the whole engineering thing and you get to decide what u want to do after your first year. So since engineering courses are 4 years, starting with a flexible first year does that mean you will end up studying for a total of 5 years ?

ie. 1st year start with flexible first year engineering
--> then i decide what i want to do
now i start that course which goes for 4 years
= 5 year total?

is that right or did i get it wrong? ( i forgot to ask this question today at UNSW open day =/ )

also, I'm planning to do a combined Engineering/Science degree, can i still do a flexible first year for engineering ? or do they expect me to know what i want eg. jump straight into a mechatronic engineering program.

Any help would be great thanks!

sangboi

HSC
Thanks for the reply Musk,

about the warnings..

Musk said:
WARNING: If you have not done engineering dyamics (for the schools civil/mining/mechanical etc) by the end of first yr you have LOST one yr

WARNING: If you have not done chemical 1a/1b (for the schools chemical and petrolium etc) by the end of first yr you have LOST one yr
what do you mean by "if you have not done" because i was thinking engineering flexible first year gave you the subjects to do. as in i dont have a choice to choose what subjects to pick as they give me abit of everything.. so
wouldnt that mean i would have done them?

or is it in the flexible first year program that they give me my subjects in semester 1 and in semester 2 is when i start having some choice? (in which if i dont do engenerring dynamics/chemical 1a/1b then i would have wasted a yeaer?)

sorry if i sound confusing, but could you perhaps re explain what you mean by the loss of a year and how i can lose it.

thanks,

sangboi

HSC
ahhh i understand now...

so during my flexible first year i still have to know if i either want to do the chemical side of engineering or the civil side because if i start on one side and change my mind later i would have lost a year... right?

thanks for your help =]

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You will be behind after first year, but it is not an extra year. You'll still graduate on time. The reason for this is you normally have a certain amount of 'free' subjects through your degree that you can basically take whatever you want. In flexible first year you pretty much use most of these up in your first year, meaning in the latter years when you've decided what you want to do you're mainly doing core subjects related to your area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)