question on double degrees? (1 Viewer)

-X-

HSC
N/A
Hi

Is it possible to do say both physics and computer system engineering in uni? Then get a degree in both of them? Do all uni's give that option or does it depend on which uni it is? Will completing the 2 degrees take (3ys for physi and 5 for comp. eng.) 8 years?

And last question, :p will the work load double?

heh Thanks :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm I guess its possible if u do a double degree in Science and Engineering
u'd get both a BSc and a BE

the workload will not double, u'll jus have to spend 2 more years at uni

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
unis differ in terms of what double degree combinations they offer so look around, ask questions on open days etc.
In terms of workload, as Minai said, there won't really be a change but you will be at uni for longer.
eg. Arts/Law is 5 yrs. Not 3 yrs for arts and 4 yrs for law

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It depends on the uni as !meeee! said. If you can't do a double degree you can always do one and then the other but you will be at uni longer and paying more.

Generally you decide which degree you want to do first (some, like Arts/Sci and Sci/Arts at USYD make you do one degree first) and complete that, then add a year or two for the other degree.

It doesn't change your workload too much, although you may overload some sessions and you may not have the flexibility of elective choice that a straight eng/sci/arts/comm course would.

Giant Lobster

HSC
since were on the topic of dbl degrees, how much of an advantage is it having two degrees? i mean, i know the disadvantages, having to spend an extra year at uni, extra costs, inflexible timetable and possibly greater workloads. but i dont see any advantage except the flexibility of transferring trades when ur in the workforce.

if im willing to spend extra time in uni (which i am) id be opting for post grad study, insted of another bachelors. Everyones got a Bs in something so by getting 2 ur not really putting urself ahead of others are ya? I rather spend an extra 3 or 4 years getting a M or PhD on one course, instead of 1 extra year on another B which i wont be needing.

-X-

HSC
N/A
I know what you mean Giant Lobster but im intrested in both the physics (especially the computer side of physics) and computer engineering. Thats why i want to do double degrees. After that, i will go on to further studies on one of them depending on which i enjoy more. And 1 extra year is nothing for another degree.

Thanksf for your input everyone.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Da Monstar
BE Computer Engg + BSc Physics @ UNSW (UAI:91.35)
hey, did u get that from the unsw site? Cause i cant seem to find it.

Thanks

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by melbournian
only problem is been overqualified....
too right...
u only need to do a PhD if u want to work in academia (ie, become a Lecturer/Professor/Research assistant)
a PhD is basically useless in the workforce

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
better than a PhD is some industry experience :D

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Cyph
Try www.uac.edu.au
Hey thanks. I had tried that for the past week but the search function wouldn't work properly but now seems to be working. :)

comp engineering/Science....Is that what Da Monstar is talking about? But science refers to Biology (god i hate that!) chem etc....

Would they give you a choice to select which you want to do ie physics (with out doing all the other science subjects)? Or do you do all the science subjects?

Thanks for your help guys!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
science is also things like psych and maths :)

you choose say, four subjects (6 uoc) for a session. they may or may not all have to do with physics (for the first year at least, probably not). most of the higher courses require that you've done the first year courses and so on.

check the unsw handbook for example; it has all the available physics courses. where it says prereqs, you have to have done that subject first. i assume the other unis are the same.
(physics courses at unsw are denoted PHYSXXXX, btw)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
eh, but with a PhD people call you doctor!
i'd do that
check me out, i'm a doctor of visual communications

actually, i don't think i can do that

Giant Lobster

HSC
so being overqualified is a bad thing these days? i dont see the logic behind that...

well no matter, i actually wanna be a lecturer so yeah.. :D i like the notion of lecturing ppl :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
so being overqualified is a bad thing these days? i dont see the logic behind that...

well no matter, i actually wanna be a lecturer so yeah.. :D i like the notion of lecturing ppl :)
I've heard u cant get a job other than Lecturer/Professor/Researcher with a PhD, coz companies dont want to hire u or sumthing

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I've heard u cant get a job other than Lecturer/Professor/Researcher with a PhD, coz companies dont want to hire u or sumthing
Why would they do that? :confused:

Generator

HSC
N/A
It depends on the type of job. Science is different to the other faculty areas as people are always on the look-out for researchers with a phd...

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
^ maybe its overqualified you gotta pay MOREwages =/
okay i dun want a phd no more just a honours or master..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)