• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question: network topologies (1 Viewer)

Azn fairies

err... im going to ask a very stupid question.

for network tologies such as the ring and bus topology, if 2 nodes(computers) are sending info at the same time then it will crush...
then woudn't this network topology be very useless then, cos if we use this for playing mutiplyer games such as CS. then every second over 20 nodes will sedn info at once then it will Guarantee to crush...

is this true? or am im confussing myself?

Huy

HSC
N/A
then every second over 20 nodes will sedn info at once then it will Guarantee to crush...
Using your example, think about how the Internet would work (or rather, "collapse") if a hundred thousand or even if millions of computers tried to send data at the same time ;)

While you have lots of computers requesting data, this might result in server loads and "crushing" (as you've put it) the system, there are ways around this and things you can use to prevent such "crushes".

For this answer, however, you should look at IPT and network collision prevention methods such as your token rings and CSMA/CD.

You might also want to look at full-duplex (or even half-duplex) and how it works, why it works, and so on.

I think you are confusing yourself, to be honest.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Azn fairies
ok thx.. i try to warp my head around the idea. thx anyany
Not a problem Azn fairies :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rx72c
i have forgotten what IPT IS.
I haven't.

It wasn't that long ago... work that long-term memory! ;)

rx72c

Well my memory has just began to click again
Now on a small scale of computers, for e.g a group of users playing a multiplayer game, each computer will be sending many different signals, now it really depends what you mean by at the same time, now a difference in time of each signal sent of 0.0000001 second can mean avoiding a collision so on a small scale networks can work fine without colliding.

Its only on much larger scales such as the internet were CSMA/CD must be used were the chance of 2 comptuers out of 2 billion computers sending a signal at the same time is very likely.

When your playing a multiplayer game, the computer will not send a signal every second, it will send a signal when it requires to send a signal.

With the ring topology it is literally impossible to have a collision hence why this network is much slower, there are only so many tokens floating around in a network, some free and and some busy.
All tokens travel in one direction and at the same speed.
If a computer wants to send a message but all tokens are busy then the computer must wait until a free token arrives.
This is why token ring is used at banks cause they cannot to afford to have any errors and would rather have a slower network than loose valuble information, you may think that the loss of information is minimal but if you look at the size of the banks databases youll realise how big they are and notice that even a small percentage of data lost is alot of data.

I hope that explains everything, if it dosnt or someone disagrees with me, please tell me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)