Question from past paper (1 Viewer)

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
From the 2002 past paper, question 21 part b) Evaluate the effectiveness of the apllication of the principles of the Ottawa Charter in adressing the areas of depression, and road and traffic-related injuries.

For Road traffic i have things like media awareness, Law enforcement, Car technology, road management, government legislation and examples for each.

Then depression i've got things like positive mental health, risk, signs, diagnosis etc...

i have no idea if im on the right track and i don't know how to set it all out for evaluation? Could someone please help me a little bit.. :)

mcbec

HSC
What i think the question is really asking is How can the ottawa charter be applied to the particular areas of Road injuries and Depression (mental health).

I did a core 1 in-class assessment on the application of the ottawa charter to specific areas (we were given skin cancer and CVD)... the question was very similar to that, and i got 15/15, which i wasnt expecting! Anyway this is what i did...

Im sure you already know the ottawa charter (dev. personal skills, creating supportive env., strengthening community action, reorienting health services, & building healthy public policy). Anyway, basically what the question is asking is for you to break down the parts of the ottawa charter and explain how they have been applied to combat the major areas of Road injuries and Depression.

I'd put a small paragraph for each area of the ottawa charter relating to each particular area. So, starting with road injuries, for example, for Developing personal skills relating to road injuries you could write about the high incidence of road injuries in Australia and how building positive driving behaviours in drivers will reduce road-related injuries. You could also note the high incidence of road injuries in young people. You could then back it up by examples such as parents instructing their teenagers how to drive safely.
Then do the same for creating supportive environments, strengthening comm action, etc. And, as this question is asking you to evaluate the OC's effectiveness, after showing the marker you know how the ottawa charter is applied, write a sentence or two about how effective that part of the charter is (e.g. Applying building healthy public policy to the issue of road injuries has proven to be effective, as new legislations including seat belt use, double demerit weekends, etc, have attributed to the recent decline in road-related deaths and injuries in Australia).

So all those examples you've put are great, you've just gotta know now which area of the ottawa charter they fit into!!

Oh, and with setting it out, i find that for long answer questions such as this, where you know u've got a lot to write, setting it out in essay form (like you do for english) is the best way. So basically, short intro paragraph, then paragraphs on all the areas you want to talk about, and finally a conclusion linking to your point and linking everything together. It may not work for everyone, but it seems to work for me, and i find it much easier to answer the long-answer questions.

Anyway, i hope that helped. Thats the sort of thing i did in my assessment anyway. Anyone else got any ideas, go for it, cause i mite've missed something.

Anyway, good luck studying Emz.

Last edited:

Lisa05

HSC
Just out of curiosity....they cannot ask you for specific areas like injury and mental illness nemore can they?..i thought the only two you had to no in great detail were CVD and cancer and you choose two more to no in great detail....
does that make ne sencE?

Cab31

HSC
I wouldnt really take the chance of not knowing them all. They can ask you anything that is on the syllabus. The trend seems to be with asking about CVD - but this could also set you guys up for a question from another area.

sally_33

HSC
Lisa05 said:
Just out of curiosity....they cannot ask you for specific areas like injury and mental illness nemore can they?..i thought the only two you had to no in great detail were CVD and cancer and you choose two more to no in great detail....
does that make ne sencE?
i dont think they can ask about those two anymore

see here .. they added asthma to the list and
All students must study CVD, cancer and two other health priorities chosen from the four remaining areas.
(the bits in italics from that link)

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)