Question for you guys, (1 Viewer)

kc-ok-la

HSC
hi,
please tell me in your guys opinion what this means ,

"Assess the impact of ideology on nazi foreign policy to september 1939 "

im having trouble interperating this question for my assessment task, however when i turn to my teacher for help she talks about crap, and her explination doesnt really fit the criteria of the question in my opinion.

i wont tell u my understanding of it otherwise it may influence what you think/thought/will think and reveal it later.

thanks in adv

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
hmmm, I think its an ideology vs pragmatism sort of question. like "Was Hitlers aggresive foriegn policy attributable to ideological factors (living space, superiority of aryan race/Germany. pan-Germanic superstate) or was it more pragmatic (increasing domestic popularity, attaining natural resources etc). Hope that gives you an idea of what that question is really asking!

kc-ok-la

HSC
your answer i somewhat understood,

however i fail to see what the foreign part is?
do u mean the "foreigners " in germany? making it a domestic problem,
but to hitlers view foreign as he didnt see jews and slavs etc as german?

when i first read it,
my first thoughts was
what was the driving force of the nazi's foreign policies
why did they have ____ foreign policies

and my understanding of foreign policies was

everyone except for the aryan-german race

for example:
hitler felt the treaty of versailles fk'd up germanny and he wanted to un-do that
(get more living space, and be a world super power again and " cleanse" eastern europe )
thus there is the root of the ideology
leading to the foreign policies his party created

HOWEVER,

my teacher said look at foreign TRADE policies

like what deals did germany and russia etc have
did not at all mention IDEOLOGY
feel what im saying?
feedback plz

talking to my teacher,

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
when I used "foreign", I was referring to "foreign policy" as the question stated. It encompasses all dealings with other countries, but in the context of the modern history national study, I believe it's referring a little more explicitly to Germanys agressive moves upon her neighbors. The remilitarization of the ruhr, the repatriation of the Sarrs region, the annexing of Austria, and later the Sudetenland followed by wider Chekoslovakia, and finally with the invasion of poland which triggered WW2. You must simply (not that it's a simple task) assess how much such foreign policy was attributable to ideology. If you decide that this wasn't the case, you'd site reasons why foreign policy was driven more by pragmatism than ideology, or even other reasons maybe.

I hope thats clear for you.

biggie walls

HSC
Ms Hunt doesn't give good help with assessments ey..

I think your right in saying

"what was the driving force of the nazi's foreign policies"

It's basically saying what Ideology was Hitler living by (Nazi Ideology) when he formulated his Foreign Policies, and how is this seen in the way the Policies were carried out?

BTW, its FC haha

HSC
One word: Lebensraum

Lebensraum governed all aspects of Nazi foreign policy. Cant give you specific examples right now cos i havent actually written up my notes yet (i really should do that soon) but its safe to say that foreign policy and lebensraum were heavily intertwined.

stormstormstorm

HSC
The Brucemaster said:
One word: Lebensraum

Lebensraum governed all aspects of Nazi foreign policy. Cant give you specific examples right now cos i havent actually written up my notes yet (i really should do that soon) but its safe to say that foreign policy and lebensraum were heavily intertwined.
yeah thats what the questions all about

you link lebensraum as a key tenet of nazi ideology to their aggresive foreign policy -ruhr cezch etc ...

HSC
politik said:
Hmm... Volkgemeinschaft anyone?
Yes that was certainly the eventual aim of Lebensraum but there were other factors involved in Volsgemeinschaft that were unrelated. So i think it would be better to focus on lebensraum as the sole ideology behind foreign policy as there is a more direct link between the two.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
Yes that was certainly the eventual aim of Lebensraum but there were other factors involved in Volsgemeinschaft that were unrelated. So i think it would be better to focus on lebensraum as the sole ideology behind foreign policy as there is a more direct link between the two.
Though it is an "assess" question, I think there is certainly room to disagree or propose potentially more significant factors. In my answers above I suggest a couple of other possibilities (including living space).

butchcasadie

HSC
i am really lost for my case study for ext modern history
were doing 'The bush Legend'
im pretty set for the debate between the bush and the city however when it comes to 'anti-authoritarianism and radicalism' im a little lost!
Should i be focussing knowledge on radical nationalists and its elements eg. British stock, arrival of 1st fleet, segregation of indigenous peoples, white aust policy?

Does anyone know any valluable prescribed readings to draw upon for hstorical debates?

HSC
Yeah OK getting back on topic (ie post that question in the ext history board) with the assessment you obviously have to make a judgement as to how much nazi ideology impacted on foreign policy. It therefore might be worthwile looking at other historians opinions who suggest that hitlers aggressive foreign policy was not solely motivated by lebensraum.
Fritz Fischer, for example (supported by Dr. Ian Kershaw), states that the conservative elite, wishing to maintain their economic position in Germany, resorted to military expansion in order to protect their own interests.

pungemo

HSC
Bravo Bruce. I think your right in that the question says 'assess', therefore you will have to judge to what degree ideology led Hitler to was in relation to other reasons. You'll will have to compare what different historians say on the matter to support whatever opinion you may express (just hope its the right one).

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
pungemo said:
Bravo Bruce. I think your right in that the question says 'assess', therefore you will have to judge to what degree ideology led Hitler to was in relation to other reasons. You'll will have to compare what different historians say on the matter to support whatever opinion you may express (just hope its the right one).
gah, I swear I already covered everything there but for the historiography angle in my first 2 posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)