Question for Bachelor of Arts (Media and Comm) students! (1 Viewer)

Sugar

HSC
Hey,

I'm a first year Bachelor of Arts student, and I think I might want to transfer to Bachelor of Arts (media and communications) next year.

I just wanted to know what the course is about. Initially, I was thinking of doing a BA (media and comm), except my friend said it was very computer-oriented (I don't really like computers) so I was very turned off by that. Is it true though? I would like to do something like public communications in the future, so would this be the right course for me?

Also if I was started second year, I was wondering whether I have to take the first year MECO subjects, and do I just commence second year?

I'm starting to regret not putting in BA (media and comm) as my first preference. :confused: I got above the UAI for this year's cutoff, so I would have no problems transferring (I hope)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yes it's very computer-oriented. You take one production unit each semester. There are also purely theory based units you have to take, and in those you'll study largely about new and emerging technologies, and also some communications theory. I'm not sure what you mean by 'public communications', but since this is a BA you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

I don't think you'd have to take the 1st year units, but I'd double check that with the school.

It's a good course and more useful overall than a straight BA because it provides you with a vocational focus, but if you're not into hands-on media production then you may not enjoy it. Alternatively, In a straight BA you can take a major stream in Media, Culture and Technology. That means, you study the same theory as in media comm but don't need to take any prac units. You may want to look into this instead.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)