Question Chain Thread !!! (1 Viewer)

JasonNg1025

HSC
This is ethyl methanoate, formed when methanoic acid and ethanol are mixed under reflux with a sulfuric acid catalyst. I also replied to your industrial question

danz90

HSC
JasonNg1025 said:
This is ethyl methanoate, formed when methanoic acid and ethanol are mixed under reflux with a sulfuric acid catalyst. I also replied to your industrial question
Correct :)
and
Thanks lol

yorkstanham

HSC
danz90 said:
Identify the name of the ester below, and the reactants used to produce it.

ethyl methanoate.

Reactants: Methanioc acid and ethanol.
Catalyst: Conc. sulfuric acid

hoochiscrazy

HSC
danz90 said:
Identify the name of the ester below, and the reactants used to produce it.

Reactants = ethanol and formic acid??
Product=ethyl methanoate?

Thought the IUPAC-preferred name for the alkanoic acids for 1-C and 2-C are not methanoic or ethanoic acids but rather formic acid and acetic acid repectively????

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
Did you guys actually produce an ester in the lab?

We made Methyl Salicylate - smells awessomee. Used in dencorub, when u smell dencorub, ur smelling the methyl salicylate.

JasonNg1025

HSC
We made pentyl ethanoate. Bananananananananananananananananananana flavour. It was pretty cool. We were exposed to glacial acetic acid for a little too long so the smell stayed with us, i.e. we couldn't smell the banana properly. But the next class walks in and thinks we've been having a banana party

Azreil

HSC
danz90 said:
I'm not sure, my chosen biopolymer isn't Biopol (I'm doing Cyclodextrin).. I just know some recent developments in Biopol.
Thanks.

Wiki ftw... It mentions the E. coli thing but nothing to do with propanoic acid. I'll just be sure to stress that it's the Poly(3) not any offshoots of it.

Describe the process of eutrophication, and asses the suitability of water quality tests uses to monitor it.

Eutrophication occurs when there is an excess of phosphate ions in a water system. This produces an algal bloom which covers a part of the system, inhibiting light from entering the water and hence removing the ability of plants to photosynthesise. Anaerobic decay of algae and other plants produces decreases the amount of dissolved oxygen and lessens the biodiversity of the system.

One test to monitor this is the colorimetric analysis of the water. A sample is taken, ammonium molybdate and ascorbic acid are added, and in the presence of phosphate, a bright blue colour is produced. Through colorimetric analysis, the concentration of phosphate can be determined and monitored. This is a highly effective and suitable method of monitoring as it is quantitative -- that is, it can tell the chemist the amount of phosphate rather than the presence, which is natural in any water system. It is only with an excess of phosphate that eutrophication will occur.

Outline the conditions required to produce LDPE.

hoochiscrazy

HSC
JasonNg1025 said:
Thought the IUPAC-preferred name for the alkanoic acids for 1-C and 2-C are not methanoic or ethanoic acids but rather formic acid and acetic acid repectively????

JasonNg1025

HSC
LDPE production:

peroxide catalyst with O-O bond that breaks double bonds in ethylene
High pressure

danz90

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
I thought formic acid was the common name of methanoic?

Acetic apparently is IUPAC-preferred to ethanoic though, thats correct.

JasonNg1025

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
Not sure, but they shouldn't take marks off for writing it the other way... or would they

Azreil

HSC
JasonNg1025 said:
LDPE production:

peroxide catalyst with O-O bond that breaks double bonds in ethylene
High pressure
High temperature too :]

hoochiscrazy

HSC
danz90 said:

I dunno lol got in my notes that the ones i stated earlier were the preferred. If anyone's gonna ring the advice line chuck that Q in. Doubt you would lose marks for it anyway though.

Azreil

HSC
danz90 said:

This.

Formic is common, butyric is common.

Acetic is common and IUPAC.

Methanoic and butanoic are IUPAC.

Flocculation: the addition of Fe3+ ions flocculates any particulates, creating larger particles and encouraging solids to fall to the bottom by increasing their density. This is also assisted by the water being stored for a period od time and hence the particles "clumping up" over time.
Filtration: This generally occurs through sand. This removes any large particles and allows only water without contaminants through. At houses, this may instead consist of the use of membrane filters however on a large scale these are generally seen as too expensive and the cost is not offset by a large increase in effectiveness.
Sanitation: By bubbling Cl(g) through the water, the following occurs:
Cl2 (g) + H2O(l) -> HCl + HOCl
HOCl <-> H+ + OCl-
OCl- is poisonous to bacteria and hence the use of Cl in the sanitation of town water is highly effective. It did not, however, protect Sydney from the giardia outbreak of 1998. Ozone is seen as more effective, however, similar to membrane filters the increase in cost does not offset the increase in effectiveness.
Addition of fluoride: While not essential, many water supplies add fluoride to their water. This is to assist in the health of those who drink it as fluoride is generally deficient in the diet and is essential to the maintenance of dental health.

lolol at water questions. I better own that section.

Describe some naturally occuring acids and their purpose in nature.

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
Azreil said:
High temperature too :]
So then HDPE production is:

Low pressure, Low temp/High temp?

Organo-metallic and/or transition metal catalysts are used.

hoochiscrazy

HSC
Anyone got some decent M&M notes that they would be able to PM or email me? And i mean like short summary e.g 10 pages or less. I've got mine but pretty sure they are shoddy just need some to compare with. Any help would be great.

Azreil

HSC
danz90 said:
So then HDPE production is:

Low pressure, Low temp/High temp?

Organo-metallic and/or transition metal catalysts are used.
Triethylaluminium catalyst, 60C and 2-3atm.

Just thought I'd check to be sure.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
Guys aren't these two dot points the same?

DESCRIBE HOW TRANSURANIC ELEMENTS ARE PRODUCED

DESCRIBE HOW COMMERCIAL RADIOISOTOPES ARE MADE
(arnt transuranic elements be commercial radioisotopes?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)