Question Chain Thread !!! (1 Viewer)

JasonNg1025

HSC
For the last dot point, also concentrations are like max 0.001ppm which is heck hard.

Second point, what's the equation? I've always thought it to be

2NH4+ + 2e- --> 2NH3 (g) + H2 (g)

2MnO2 (g) + H2 (g) --> Mn2O3 (s) + H2O (l)

But is it now Mn2O3 forming a hydroxide of some sort?

danz90

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Um, why are they dissolved? Isn't it ice?
Probably some dry deposition bullshit lol

JasonNg1025 said:
For the last dot point, also concentrations are like max 0.001ppm which is heck hard.

Second point, what's the equation? I've always thought it to be

2NH4+ + 2e- --> 2NH3 (g) + H2 (g)

2MnO2 (g) + H2 (g) --> Mn2O3 (s) + H2O (l)

But is it now Mn2O3 forming a hydroxide of some sort?
Yeah exactly. Manganese is a transition metal, and its oxide will form a basic solution (just like all transition metals except ZnO, which is amphoteric). And when you combine the two, you get the overall reduction equation for the dry cell:

MnO2(s) + NH4+ + H2O(l) + e- ---> Mn(OH)3(s) + NH3(aq)

I just gotta memorise the stupid reduction/oxidation equations for the button/silver oxide cell. They're so stupid.. involving freaking hydroxide ions and all, argh hate them.

JasonNg1025

HSC
I'm doing mercury oxide, is it similar

Zn(s) + 2OH- --> ZnO(s) + H2O + 2e-

HgO(s) + H2O + 2e- + --> Hg(l) + 2OH-

Ok I gotta go now
Cya

Last edited:

qqmore

HSC
Sulphur dioxide is used to produce sulphorous acid to preserve food such as pickles. It's low pH prevents the growth of microbes, allowing the food to stay fresher longer.

Azreil

HSC
Sulfur... dioxide? o_O I can't remember that being in the course ><

Describe the structure of cellulose

qqmore

HSC
Can someone post up the correct oxidation/reduction reactions for DRY CELL and SILVER BUTTON cell

JasonNg1025

HSC
I think sulfuric acid "prevented the growth of microorganisms and bacteria which are sensitive to acids and cannot grow in an acidic environment"

That's what I just got from Dot Point

Cellulose (C6H12O6) has a ring hexagonal structure made of 5 carbon atoms and an oxygen atom. There are OH and H groups above and below the ring. It has a CH2OH group above, and in solution the ring can open forming a straight chain.

*Insert diagram here*

qqmore

HSC
Azreil said:

Cellulose is a natural condensation polymer composed of thousands of glucose monomers. During condensation polymerisation, the beta glucose monomers link together by 1-3 glycosidic bond to form cellulose. This glycosidic bond forms when two -OH react and condense out a water molecule.

Celloluse is made up of straight and flat ribbon like strands due to the beta linkages between glucose monomers. It has a rigid structure and is a strong molecule. This is due to the close packing of the ribbons as well as the strong hydrogen bonds between hydroxide groups. It is insoluble in water due to strong hydrogen bonding.

and i would draw the diagram... just in case.

danz90

HSC
Azreil said:

Cellulose is a natural condensatin polymer comprised of glucose monomers (up to 3000 per cellulose polymer). Adjacent Glucose monomers are positioned 180 degrees relative to each other, so bulky CH2-OH groups do not interact with each other.
Each glucose monomer is joined by a beta-1,4-glycosidic linkage (ether linkage). Strands or polymer chains of cellulose are linked via hydrogen bonding (between polar -OH groups), permanent dipole-dipole forces, as well as dispersion forces - thus making cellulose commonly exist as tough, sturdy fibres.

EXPLAIN the term biopolymer, and identify an example.

Azreil

HSC
qqmore said:
Can someone post up the correct oxidation/reduction reactions for DRY CELL and SILVER BUTTON cell
Zn(s) -> Zn2+(aq) + 2e-
NH4+(aq) + MnO2(s) + H2O(l) + e- -> Mn(OH)3 + NH3

Zn + 2OH- -> ZnO + H2O + 2e-
Ag2O + H2O + 2e- -> 2Ag + 2OH-

qqmore

HSC
Biopolymers are polymers created naturally occuring biomass such as cellulose. They have superior properties than normal synthetic polymers are they are biodegradable, renewable and biocompatible.

An example of a biopolymer is cellulose or starch. However, there have been developments to produce biopolymers such as PHB (aka biopol) to be used in industry and medicine.

EDIT:// forgot to explain the term polymer - A long chained molecule formed from thousands of monomers.

danz90

HSC
qqmore said:
These are the one's I'm using:

DRY CELL

Oxidation: Zn(s) ---> Zn2+ + e-

Reduction: MnO2(s) + NH4+ + H2O(l) + e- ---> Mn(OH)3(s) + NH3(aq)

SILVER BUTTON CELL

Oxidation: Zn(s) + 2OH- ---> ZnO(s) + H2O(l) + e-

Reduction: Ag2O(s) + H2O(l) + e- ---> 2Ag(s) + 2OH-

qqmore

HSC
damnit they are so hard to remember =S

QUESTION: Discuss the need for alternative sources presently obtained from petrolchemical industry.

Azreil

HSC

A biopolymer is a polymer that is created from a monomer of natural origins. For example, poly(3-hydroxy-butanoate) is a biopolymer formed from the monomer 3-hydroxy-butanoate, created by the bacteria alcalignes eutrophus. [insert diagram of polymer's structure--(OCH3-CH2-CO)n]. This biopolymer is similar to the synthetic polymer nylon as it is fireproof, hardwearing, soft and able to hold dye, however is also biodegradable and renewable.

Describe the structure of a membrane filter and evaluate it's effectiveness at sanitising water.

JasonNg1025

HSC
danz90 said:
Reduction: MnO2(s) + NH4+ + H2O(l) + e- ---> Mn(OH)3(s) + NH3(aq)
I have

2NH4+ + 2e- --> 2NH3 + H2

2MnO2 + H2 --> Mn2O3 + H2O

And so

2MnO2 + 2NH4+ + 2e- --> 2NH3 + Mn2O3 + H2O

Hmm they look different...

JasonNg1025

HSC
Azriel said:
Describe the structure of a membrane filter and evaluate it's effectiveness at sanitising water.
A membrane filter consists of polymer sheets folded or wound around a central core. This is inside a sealed container. Water is pumped into the container until the water pressure forces the water through the polymer sheets (filters) into the central core where it flows out as clean water, leaving undissolved and even dissolved solids behind.

It is effective in sanitising water as the polymer pores are much smaller than current filters. There are 3 levels of filtration - microfiltration, filtering up to 200nm in diameter, ultrafiltration, filtering up to 100nm in diameter and nanofiltration, which has pore size 1nm. Nanofiltration can even filter ions with the right coating. This can allow for much cleaner drinking water. However, these filters are very expensive. They also require constant maintenance as pores can clog and must be regularly washed

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
Azreil said:

A biopolymer is a polymer that is created from a monomer of natural origins. For example, poly(3-hydroxy-butanoate) is a biopolymer formed from the monomer 3-hydroxy-butanoate, created by the bacteria alcalignes eutrophus. [insert diagram of polymer's structure--(OCH3-CH2-CO)n]. This biopolymer is similar to the synthetic polymer nylon as it is fireproof, hardwearing, soft and able to hold dye, however is also biodegradable and renewable.

A membrane filter usually is comrpised of a thin-polymer (such as teflon, perhaps) which has microscopic pores, which range from diameters such as 0.001 microns to 0.1 microns. These microscopic pores trap particles such as bacteria, turbidity etc. Membrane filters used in micro and nanofiltration are quite effective at sanitising water, as they can remove almost ALL bacteria from the water supply, as well as fungi and parasites. However, more advanced filters and smaller pore sizes would be required to trap viruses. Hence, membrane filters are very effective at sanitising water, only if very small pore-sizes are used to trap ALL pathogens.

State the preferred IUPAC name of the following haloalkane:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/thumb/structureimages/02/mfcd00009602.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)