Question Chain Thread !!! (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
I'll try my hardest of course, but i seriously doubt it lol.
Hey, who knows ;) you sure sound as though your capable of a state ranking. :)

for part (a), the answer is 0.1ppm
because 10µg/100mL goes to 100µg/1000mL , hence 0.1mg/L
therefore 0.1ppm

part (b) is answered good.. best one to use is KI, since there is a distinguishable bright yellow precipitate.

part (c) is pretty good too ;)

danz90

HSC
far out, im soo shittyy
i aimed to freaking study M&M as well as Acidic Environment today.. but only ended up studying the entire Acidic module.

Lol fat chance in getting M&M done tonight.
Means tomorrow I have to read over M&M AND Industrial.....

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Thanks for that man, really appreciate it. And i do need to correct my ppm, seems to confuse me alot even though its a metric measure -_-.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Btw whats industrial like? I didn't get a choice, had to do shipwrecks, and the industrial chem would've benefited me alot considering thats what i want to study next year, Chem Eng (ind. chem).

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
Thanks for that man, really appreciate it. And i do need to correct my ppm, seems to confuse me alot even though its a metric measure -_-.
I'd definitely recommend studying on the mole to ppm conversion crap... my teacher said that it's highly likely they'll have that in this year's exam.

I honestly think this year's exam will be hard. :read:

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
Btw whats industrial like? I didn't get a choice, had to do shipwrecks, and the industrial chem would've benefited me alot considering thats what i want to study next year, Chem Eng (ind. chem).
I love Industrial Chem option.

It's such an awesome option. We learn about production of NaOH, saponification (lol we actually made a soap and washed our hands with it), production of Na2CO3 (we also made this in our lab from raw materials) and also do a lot of stuff on equilibrium. The joy about doing this option is that you should then be able to kill any equilibrium-based question in the modules.

Oh, and we also learn about manufacture/use of Sulfuric Acid (lol this meant using 98% Sulfuric in our lab... was fun)

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
danz90 said:
I'd definitely recommend studying on the mole to ppm conversion crap... my teacher said that it's highly likely they'll have that in this year's exam.

I honestly think this year's exam will be hard. :read:
Yeah im starting to get that feeling. But once you know the whole course, its possible to answer each question, and a time of 3 hrs makes that fairly easy. Im mostly fearing the numerical / calculation questions.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
danz90 said:
I love Industrial Chem option.

It's such an awesome option. We learn about production of NaOH, saponification (lol we actually made a soap and washed our hands with it), production of Na2CO3 (we also made this in our lab from raw materials) and also do a lot of stuff on equilibrium. The joy about doing this option is that you should then be able to kill any equilibrium-based question in the modules.

Oh, and we also learn about manufacture/use of Sulfuric Acid (lol this meant using 98% Sulfuric in our lab... was fun)
So jealous lol, what we got to do was put nails in test tubes for almost every prac, just with different variables, materials, liquids, ect. so much fun! (slightly sarcastic)

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
So jealous lol, what we got to do was put nails in test tubes for almost every prac, just with different variables, materials, liquids, ect. so much fun! (slightly sarcastic)
haha lol

hey, one thing I recommend is googling some updated info on some of the 'secondary resources' part of the syllabus.
I'm currently looking at other monosacchardies that can be dervied from biomass for ethanol production - I'm certain ethanol will be in the exam this year, considering it wasn't in there last year, and this year around may (when the exam was set), petrol prices were rocketing up.

What biopolymer did u guys study?
the confusing part about that dot point.. is assess recent developments in biopolymers. Does it mean, recently developed biolpolymers, or recent developments in the way they're used, or the way they're manufactured...?

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Well i decided to do bipol at the last minute, my teacher mentioned something about radon? wait, isn't that some form of ratsack? LOL. Just found it, rayon, reconstituted cellulose, treated chemically to make fibres tha can be used to make fabric (as its useless to start of with). It doesnt mention the production for any of these biopolymers though.

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
Well i decided to do bipol at the last minute, my teacher mentioned something about radon? wait, isn't that some form of ratsack? LOL. Just found it, rayon, reconstituted cellulose, treated chemically to make fibres tha can be used to make fabric (as its useless to start of with). It doesnt mention the production for any of these biopolymers though.
Biopol is pretty good.
I'm doing Cyclodextrin... there has been some really good recent developments with it, and heaps of impacts upon society and environment.
It would be wise to look that one up too

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Wow that one is great, and its extremely recent as well. It looks very complicated haha. Anyways im off, need to do some study for SDD tonight, as it is in 2 days, JUST LIKE PHYSICS ON THE SAME DAY GRR.

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
Wow that one is great, and its extremely recent as well. It looks very complicated haha. Anyways im off, need to do some study for SDD tonight, as it is in 2 days, JUST LIKE PHYSICS ON THE SAME DAY GRR.
ok good luck with the study :)

im off 2 bed.. gotta study a shitload tomorrow
gudnight
:wave:

danz90

HSC
To start things up:

A farmer wanted to obtain a reliable estimate of the pH of his soil using universal indicator.

Outline a brief method he could adopt to determine pH.

gcmk

HSC
hi i was just wondering, for production of materials- the syllabus points for
- Describe how transuranic elements are produced
- Describe how commercial radioisotopes are producd.
so what's the difference between those two syllabus points? do we just talk about how theyre made in accelerators and nuclear reactors, but i don't know what eg.s (equations) to use for each??

danz90

HSC
gcmk said:
hi i was just wondering, for production of materials- the syllabus points for
- Describe how transuranic elements are produced
- Describe how commercial radioisotopes are producd.
so what's the difference between those two syllabus points? do we just talk about how theyre made in accelerators and nuclear reactors, but i don't know what eg.s (equations) to use for each??
basically just know how radioisotopes are actually produced (ie nuclear reactors, particle accelerators, cyclotrons etc). Then for transuranic elements know that atomic number is >92. Know an example of how a transuranic element is produced, I'm sticking with Darmstadium-269, coz that also covers another dot point about knowing a recently discovered radioisotope.

gcmk

HSC
danz90 said:
basically just know how radioisotopes are actually produced (ie nuclear reactors, particle accelerators, cyclotrons etc). Then for transuranic elements know that atomic number is >92. Know an example of how a transuranic element is produced, I'm sticking with Darmstadium-269, coz that also covers another dot point about knowing a recently discovered radioisotope.
so they're all produced in either a nuclear reactor or accelerator??
sorry but how is darmstadium-269 produced?

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
I'm sticking with Americium 241, but how recent do they need to be? I've always used it as my transuranic element (sigh i know like 10 different ones due to two medical uses in physics).

yorkstanham

HSC
danz90 said:
To start things up:

A farmer wanted to obtain a reliable estimate of the pH of his soil using universal indicator.

Outline a brief method he could adopt to determine pH.
take a sample of the soil, if universal indicator were added to it he colour change would be extremely hard to see due to this some inert white powder such as barium sulfate is added so the colour change can be easily observed. Then add some universal indicator to obtain the reliable estimate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)