question about wording in exams (1 Viewer)

julz1245

Alright, I'm quite confused because I've heard mixed answers on this, so if anyone could set it straight it would be much appereciated.

In the exam, it says something like "Refer to TWO set texts". Now, we're studying Browning's poetry, which are 7 poems in total + Simon Langton's BBC P&P. Would two set texts be one poem and the mini-series, or are all of Browning's poems counted as "one" set text??
I took it completely literally and only referred to one poem, but was told later by a friend that I could've mentioned 2 or 3 poems...

Does anyone know the truth about this?!

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Ooh I know

Okay, well here's the deal when one of your pre-scribed texts is poetry. (I found this out this year and its helped so much). If you one refer to one poem it will be marked down. Because it is considered 'unfair' and justly so. If someone else has to learn about a whole play or novel and you only need to know one poem thats unfair weighting and content. So for the future when talking about Browning's poems you should generalise about about all of the poems studied, ie. romanticism, and talk about 2 of the poems in close reference (ie, techniques used extra). Hope that helps, I just re-read it and it made no sense but Im pretty overtired, and of course good luck. :D

julz1245

Thanks for the reply, it does make sense yeah. Ah bugger it, I hope my Ext. Eng teacher doesn't mark me down in the half yearly... but yes I see what you're saying, thanks again!

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Hey, thanks to all you guys for your replies; i was just squizzing through this stuff and I had been thinking the same stuff; it's good to think i'm not going insane and that i'm the only one thinking these things! :rolleyes:

miffytoki

HSC
when i did the hsc we had to write on at least 2 brownings poems (if u chose that as your text), depending on how fast u write it was extrememly hard to write a decent amount on 3 poems (esp in the final exam where u gotta cover like 4 texts)...half of us ended up cutting down to 2 poems by the end...

as for Langston's BBC u gotta make sure u refer to different episodes throughout the series...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)