Question About Transfers (1 Viewer)

aliasfan

HSC
Hey guys just got my UAI and its less than i expected... I was hoping to do B Communication Journalism and last years cut off was 94 or something... I only got 81. If i got into Social Inquiry could i transfer after my first year to Journalism? Thanks

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
aliasfan said:
Hey guys just got my UAI and its less than i expected... I was hoping to do B Communication Journalism and last years cut off was 94 or something... I only got 81. If i got into Social Inquiry could i transfer after my first year to Journalism? Thanks
You possibly could, it's pretty competitive to transfer in to journalism even internally and you would have to impress but it is possible. You could also try and transfer from any arts degree at other unis like USyd/UNSW etc. Only do social inquiry if it sounds like something you would like. Other unis like macquarie and wollongong have media courses too, or you could do straight arts, so there are a few options, you should suss out the courses and see what looks enjoyable for you, because if the transfer doesn't work out you don't want to be stuck doing a degree in something you aren't that keen on. If you really want to be a journalist, building a strong portfolio is the most important thing. My advice... pick something that you think you will enjoy. That way it will be easier to get the good grades to transfer anyway.

Good luck with it all.

aliasfan

HSC
Thanks for the help dude, i think i wanna be a journo... it sounds exciting... Its either Journalism at UTS or Communication at UWS... It kinda heading towards the social sciences and humanities... And UTS is meant to have the best journalism degree

HSC
Also, they also take into account work experience etc for journalism transfers so if you could possibly get some kind of journalistic work experience, it would help your chances soo much. I'm pretty sure they provide you with a chance to write a personal statement, so it doesnt rely purely on marks. But from what i've heard in my social inquiry classes, a few of the people are trying for transfers, so it seems quite a popular choice for people who want to do journalism/pub communications in 2nd year. But its v possible, given that most of the subjects for communications first year are all the same anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)