English Adv 2u
English Ext 1u
IPT 2u
Legal 2u
Business 2u
Religion 1u
General Maths 2u
=12 units

and i want to drop general maths, would there be any problem in going down to 10 units? do you recommend it? (just your opinion) I heard something about having to have at least 11 units if you do an extension subject. Is this true?

thanks
wallmonger anxiously awaits your reply

-wm

Ozz^E

theres nothing wrong with having 10 units...12 are need for prelim. but only 10 for HSC..i did 10 myself...i had 11 with 3u maths, dropped physics and took up 4u...so yeh...ur fine. I wouldnt recommend doin general maths anyway...scaling wise and stuff.

:cool: :D

swr

i would say to keep 12 units if you can handle it. Its only helpful to do so, providing you focus on ALL assesment tasks, then come HSC you will have a backup, or if there is ONE particular subject you are doing REALLY crap at, just concentrate all you effort on the other 10 units for Trial and HSC study

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
thanks for replies

yeh i was thinking that if i didn't go really well in general maths, it wouldn't be much help with the UAI
I'm fairly confident with my remaining 10 units, and think i can do well in those
may as well drop maths

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Yeah get out of that maths shit, its a shit subject and takes too much time and effort. Before you drop a subject though see how your coping with 12 units, if you cant handle it then drop a subject, but see how you go first. If you drop down to 10 every unit will count so you cant stuff a subject up :)

Damn i cant imagine just starting the HSC... i had a nightmare about that the other night...

Christine

beige member
HSC
i did 10 units and no maths
and u only need 10 units even w/ an ext. subject.

Think about it this way - are u happy to have every subject count??

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
just reviving my thread from ages ago for a little while...

Still thinking about dropping general maths

some say that dropping maths will cut down my options for uni courses
true?

could i do a bridging course if a uni course required some maths, and if so would it be just as good/not as good as having done general maths in year 12?

-wm
:apig::apig::chainsaw:

bex

HSC
If a uni course requires maths its generally the adv one anyway.. if youre thinking of doing a bridging course then i reckon keep gen. maths.. Bridging courses cover everything done in that course over the 2yr period in 2 weeks.. theyre pretty intensive so its probably better to have some basic knowledge through gen maths anyway...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
can I just make a point................
anyone who wanted to do a Uni course with a maths component would obviously have and interest and ability in maths and would more than likely NOT be doing the general course (which is really just a course for people who want to have maths written on their HSC)
If you wanna drop maths I say go for it because chances are if you don't like it you probably wont choose a career path that requires maths

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
personally i would hang onto maths for now, if 12 units is getting too much for you then drop it
if you need maths for a uni course than a bridging course should solve that
personally tho i think when you're doing extensions it's sensible to keep units to a minimum cause ur sitting a separate paper for a 1 unit course already

Jin-17

I would recoomend u not to drop to 10 units, becasue u may regret it later. Just ask anyone who had free periods if they used it well. The answer would probabaly be no I did not. If u find it takes too much time and prove abit hard than drop it and use it to some other subjects, but if found easy u can easily just do it. Also, there is the pysicological impact of having 10 units where the burden is doubted, in that when u go in the test, u know to yourself that evrything counts and that can be your downfall. However if u stuff one subject up, it would be sort of alight, in that u would be relived that u had 12 units to fall back on. Its really your call at the end because u know yourself better than anyone else. Besdies the BOS they may scre people up like in business, wheere the test was just stuffed up. It affected me, bu I had 11 units, so it was a comforting thought.

Rosie

I was thinking of dropping maths half way thru year 12 coz i just couldn't be bothered with it coz i didn't get it! However....i ended up keeping it on coz the course i want to do at uni (BA early childhood education) requires "atleast 2 units of mathematics". Hence me keeping maths on....if i wanted to do the course then i really didn't have any choice. But i don't have to do REALLY good in maths aslong as i completed the course i was fine. So i kept general maths on, didn't stress heaps about, and i did 12 units so that i could have a fall bak if need be!! To this day i am soooo glad i never dropped maths! Hope that helps you. :)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Thanks for all the replies people
It helped, and now I'm pretty sure I'm dropping gen.maths
I'm not a maths person

I was looking through a UAC book and it seemed as though like 90% of courses have maths under "assumed knowledge" :uhoh:

would anyone be able to give me a bit of an idea what sort of course isn't maths-based or doesnt use maths to a great extent

courses more english-based, maybe

anyone?

-wm

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
rosie thats pretty much why i want to get rid of maths

i just dont get much of it, especially stuff like algebra equations

I'm just thinking I'm not gonna go that good in gen. maths, so its not gonna be much help with the UAI, and although keeping maths would give me a safety net if i screw up a subject, I think I am confident with my remaining 10 units to take that chance, in light of the benefits (more time to concentrate on less subjects, and I'm gonna FORCE myself to use the time for that :p)

Rosie

Well if u are really confident that u can do really well in the 10 units then go for it....but just try and think of it this way. Right now u are looking at it from a different perspective coz u are just getting ready for year 12 are u sure u can be that confident with all 10 units?? coz the subjects could surprise u down the track and u could lose concentration. I had a couple of subjects that surprised me. Maths was hard i agree it sucks..but atleast if u do it u do have that safety net and lots of choices for uni courses! Just be careful! :)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
but atleast if u do it u do have that safety net and lots of choices for uni courses!
theres still the option of a bridging course right? So theoretically I would still have as many choices for courses as if I kept maths, there would just be a bit more work at the end (doing the bridging course required for the subject)

unless the real situation is different to what I've been told

-wm

Rosie

Originally posted by wallmonger

theres still the option of a bridging course right? So theoretically I would still have as many choices for courses as if I kept maths, there would just be a bit more work at the end (doing the bridging course required for the subject)

unless the real situation is different to what I've been told

-wm
Well im not really sure about all that bridging courses stuff but i would imagine it would mean extra work on your behalf.

timmii

sporadic attendee
The basis for choosing subjects should always be what you like. If you don't enjoy a subject, u will find it very difficult to remain motivated and focussed when it gets more intense later in the year.

If you require a subject for your course, and u hate that subject, then maybe its an indication that the course is not for you. e.g if u don't like general maths, and mathematics or 3u maths is assumed knowledge, even if u do the bridging course, chances are, the mathematics required in the uni course itself will be rigorous and you'll have an even less friendly environment than high school in which to take it(where u can ask teachers, tutors etc and have 160hrs of the subject in the year to get thru it).

In terms of the number of units. If you can manage more without the extra burden detracting from ur performance, then i recommend a buffer of 1-3units (i did 13units, found it soothing to know i could stuff up 1-2 exams). If the workload will lower the quality of ur work, then rather focus on ur 10best. Again, choose what u like rather than what u think sounds good or will be scaled....because its all very well for a subject to be scaled well, but if u hate it and don't do well, its useless to u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)