question about how the HSC works (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

hey in term 4 last yr my school held an information night and i recall one of the teachers saying, "if u r ranked 1st in the internal assessment, it doesn't matter what mark u get in the HSC exam... u r automatically given the top mark that our school gets"

is this true? or is the mark that u get in the HSC exam the mark that they print on ur results page?

D

d00d

btw i've read the stuff from this website and it seems what that teacher said is true... but others have told me otherwise so i'm a bit confused

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
Originally posted by d00d
hey in term 4 last yr my school held an information night and i recall one of the teachers saying, "if u r ranked 1st in the internal assessment, it doesn't matter what mark u get in the HSC exam... u r automatically given the top mark that our school gets"

is this true? or is the mark that u get in the HSC exam the mark that they print on ur results page?
it's true to an extent. yes, if ur ranked first your assessment mark will be the top exam mark when they moderate assessment marks. your exam mark however will be whatever you get in the hsc exam. they add both assessment and exam marks together and divide it by two to get your overall hsc mark

D

d00d

ehh sorry i don't quite understand that... what u said sounds like they're both true...wtf?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
it doesn't make sense to me that your assessemnt mark would automatically be the highest just because you scored top on the HSC, because your internal marks are scaled with your HSC examination marks...but I've heard the same thing, so maybe it is true.

However-there are 3 sets of marks: Your examination mark (based on teh HSC exam), your assessment mark (school assessment tasks), and your HSC mark, which is the examination mark and the assessment mark added together, then divided by 2. All 3 appear on your results page, but the HSC mark is the most important-thats the one that determines what band you fall into. So just because you are ranked first in your internal assessments, if someone at your school does better than you in the HSC and gets a higher examination mark-they may end up with a higher HSC mark.

hope that made sense...:(

nomza

HSC
^^^ yeah what he said, I've never heard anything about what your teacher said...maybe they don't tell students that because it would create SO much competition...and reckon it's a bit unfair too...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's an example to illustrate:

U come first in the grade for Mathematics.
In the HSC exam, u scored 90 as your exam mark
However, another person from your school scores 99 as their exam mark. Since u are ranked first, the top exam mark in the grade becomes your moderated assessment mark (cos u were ranked 1st)

therefore your marks would be:
Assessment mark: 99
Exam mark: 90
HSC mark: 95

now, this person that got 99 in the exam was ranked 2nd, and hypothetically, competition is very tight at your skool (100+ bright maths kids)
so therefore the other persons marks would look something like this:
Assessment mark: 98
Exam mark: 99
HSC mark: 99
and therfore, this is how a person ranked lower than u can beat u

Last edited:
D

d00d

thx minai u've just about cleared it up

so does that mean ur internal assessment mark doesn't really matter?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Essentially it isn't really used for anything except determining your ranking and how close you are to the other students.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
wow thanks for clearing that up for me too guys. im pretty sure you've cleared it for ALOT of ppl out there who were counfused as me and d00d.

i was just told to do my best and try to be in the top 3 of every subject - if i could do that then i'll get the highest mark possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)