Question about Galvanic cells with an inert conductor (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It is an electrolytic cell so the reaction would be non-spontaneous

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It would be a negative reading indicating the reaction is non-spontaneous.

dbliuc

HSC
It would be a negative reading indicating the reaction is non-spontaneous.
When we did our experiment, we got a positive reading. The graphite was connected to the positive terminal and the zinc to the negative terminal.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
When we did our experiment, we got a positive reading. The graphite was connected to the positive terminal and the zinc to the negative terminal.
That's strange. Must have to do with the Chlorine and H2O then.

dbliuc

HSC
That's strange. Must have to do with the Chlorine and H2O then.
Is it a possibility that the Zinc was the one being oxidised and chlorine being reduced? Our teacher didn't really tell us much about this experiment

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Is it a possibility that the Zinc was the one being oxidised and chlorine being reduced? Our teacher didn't really tell us much about this experiment
If that is so, then E(cell) would still be negative

Could you please give me the list of observations of this experiment? (eg. formation of metal on graphite, bubbling in anode/cathode compartment, change in concentration of anolyte/catholyte)

Was the positive voltage read mistaken to be voltage supplied for this (supposedly) non-spontaneous reaction to occur?

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
This is a shipwrecks question.
The species you have are: Zn, Na2+, Cl-, H2O

Which of the species can undergo oxidation? Look at the reduction potentials table and determine which of the above are on the RISGHT side indicating OXIDDATION: Zn, H2O, Cl-

Now Which of the species can undergo reduction? Look at the reduction potentials table and determine which of the above are on the LEFT side indicating REDUCTION: H2O, Na2+

From the OXIDATION species, let's write out the voltage for each:
Zn to oxidise requires = 0.76 (flip because it's oxidation)
H2O = -1.23
Cl- = -1.36

So which of the above is the most positive? Zn so zinc METAL oxidises. Write the eqn: Zn(s) --> Zn2+ + 2e-

From the REDUCTION species, let's write out the voltage for each:
Na2+ = -2.71
H2O = -0.83 this is the more positive one so it reduces, write the eqn: H2O + e-->0.5H2(g) + OH–

I suck at writing overall eqns lol
Someone pls help :)

Last edited:

dbliuc

HSC
Depends if solution was concentrated or not I think
In our prac, we also performed an experiment where we used the same metal but different concentrations of the NaCl (0.1 Mol, 1.00 Mol, 0.001 Mol), and we got higher readings the more concentrated the solution was. Would that help with anything?

dbliuc

HSC
If that is so, then E(cell) would still be negative

Could you please give me the list of observations of this experiment? (eg. formation of metal on graphite, bubbling in anode/cathode compartment, change in concentration of anolyte/catholyte)

Was the positive voltage read mistaken to be voltage supplied for this (supposedly) non-spontaneous reaction to occur? (highly unlikely because you just started Module 1 of chemistry)
The only observations we were told to take was the reading on the voltmeter. If it helps, we used different metals in the same solution, the higher reading we got was from Magnesium (considering we used Mg, Cu, Zn and Nickel)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
The only observations we were told to take was the reading on the voltmeter. If it helps, we used different metals in the same solution, the higher reading we got was from Magnesium (considering we used Mg, Cu, Zn and Nickel)
Did you recall any bubbling in the cathode compartment? (links with enigma's response)

dbliuc

HSC
Did you recall any bubbling in the cathode compartment? (links with enigma's response)
Nope, we didn't notice any bubbling, or metal depositing on the graphite (but then again, we weren't really paying attention to that).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's bad science, if you ask me. In future, always look at everything.

Are you going to tell us ALL of your results? Numbers/potentials, concentrations etc?

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In regards to using a multimeter (in your experiment you should only use the voltmeter option on the multimeter), you can get a positive or negative reading depending how you connect up your multimeter to the electrodes. Black/Negative goes to anode, and Red/Positive goes to the cathode. The reading you obtain on your multimeter will be:

This is exactly what you want as the total potential of the cell is characterised by the above calculation.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, considering nobody else will answer this, here's my answer.

Basically, what happens is that some of the protons in solution (H+) gain electrons (is reduced) from the test metal (is oxidised) which produces a bit of hydrogen gas.
Reduction: 2H++2e- --> H2
Oxidation: Metal --> Metal2++2e-

I suspect the magnitude of the potentials would be in this order (assuming all other conditions are controlled):
Cu<Ni<Zn<Mg

I don't think copper would give a reading because it has a higher reduction potential than H+ while the other test metals have lower reduction potentials.

Unsurprisingly, Mg/Zn/Ni are all very prone to dissolving in acid and Cu is much more resistant but still reacts with some acids (eg HNO3).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)