Question about Double Degrees (1 Viewer)

bumpkin

Hey! Im in the process of choosing what course i want to do at university. and what catches my eye is Science/commerce combined degree.

I was just wondering how much more work it is compared to a single degree and is it ALOT harder? Timewise is it also very demanding?

Oh yeah - i also want to ask about the Talented Students Program. Some people from others school i know got some kind of letter sent to them about the lecture coming up during open day for which they have to fill a form to. I didnt get one....what is it about and how do i get a letter. lol.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Generator

HSC
N/A
No double degree is any 'harder' than a single degree... You still take the standard 24 credit points per semester... The only real differences are that any free-range electives that you may have with a single degree are removed within the double degree programme (so that you are able to complete both degrees within a shorter period of time than if they were taken separately) and that you are at uni for an extra year or two (two for the standard arts/com, science/arts, etc. programmes).

Edit: The first edit kind of killed my signature... I'm taking a BSc, BA.

Last edited:

wakarimashita

well im currently doing a combined degree - that is in complete different areas and i do find it harder than a single degree because the subjects are so different and it 'feels' like there is alot more to learn - a reason why completing a bachelor in degree then doing graduate in another might be better. Or maybe it's just me.... :)

That might be the same situation with Science / Commerce, since they are not really related - unless if you're planning to do Science (Mathematics) / Commerce (Actuarial)

But Science / Commerce OR Engineering / Commerce is definately a great combo!! :) :)

stag_j

wakarimashita said:
But Science / Commerce OR Engineering / Commerce is definately a great combo!! :) :)
OK how does this sound?
One of my tutors last semester was telling me that he originally enrolled in BE(telecom)/BSc(major in computer science). After 2nd year, he transferred to science (this is how the BE/BSc double degree works instead of combined...) However after 3rd year instead of just transferring back to engineering for his last two years, he reapplied through UAC and got into BE/BComm. I think he said this took him 3 years to finish.
If you ask me thats a damn good path - 3 degrees in 6 years.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Honours is worth more than a Masters in our system. He should have taken an extra year to do a bunch of honours :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
WOA!!! sci comm!!! =)
i am doing sci comm at usyd atm... tho the comm was pretty much forced ><

and yea, as most of the pplz have mentioned, tis not harder, just longer... sci comm usually takes 5 years full time, whereas sci/ comm takes 3 year each if u wanna do them separately...

regardin tsp, dun bother too much, u can't apply, they invite u... if u get uai >98.8 (i heard... i also heard the cut off was 99??? cna't remember) i STRONGLY advises any future science undergrad to join... as i said, if ur mark is above 98.8, ALOT of doors suddenly open up to u...

timewise, science and engineerin takes alot of hours ... normally a science 6 cp requires 3 hr lecture, 1 hr tute and 3 hr prac (7 hr in total) and if u do combine, u'd usually do 2 of those, and 2 maths (each maths = 2 hr lectures 1 hr tute) and then a commerce junior core in the first sem ( i took accountin, 2 hr lecture, 2 hr tute)... work load, well, lemme just say that i enjoy sci and disliked comm... 8-| therefore, i put alot of effort into comm, but still gettin crabby marks =(

wakarimashita

stag_j said:
OK how does this sound?
One of my tutors last semester was telling me that he originally enrolled in BE(telecom)/BSc(major in computer science). After 2nd year, he transferred to science (this is how the BE/BSc double degree works instead of combined...) However after 3rd year instead of just transferring back to engineering for his last two years, he reapplied through UAC and got into BE/BComm. I think he said this took him 3 years to finish.
If you ask me thats a damn good path - 3 degrees in 6 years.
wow! that is amazing!! 3 degrees in 6years!!! :)
im currently trying to do 3 degrees in 8years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)