question about chloroethene (vinyl chloride) (1 Viewer)

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
we were given the question:

Describe one property of chloroethene that makes it suitable to be used as a monomer

i have no idea about the properties of the monomer itself but i noe about the polyvinyl choride...

does anyone noe anything bout the properties of chloroethene... i only noe that it is a gas...

wanton-wonton

HSC
How can chloroethene as a monomer be useful? (I don't know)

It's definitely not in the scope of the syllabus, since they ask for the properties of the polymer and relate it to its use.

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
i have no idea since it was in one of our schools old trial papers...

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Um, how about unsaturation?

CH3Cl ----> -(-CH2-CHCl-)-n

PS. What is vinyl chloride? What is PVC?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
karen88 said:

Describe one property of chloroethene that makes it suitable to be used as a monomer

i have no idea about the properties of the monomer itself but i noe about the polyvinyl choride...

does anyone noe anything bout the properties of chloroethene... i only noe that it is a gas...

the 2 dot pts related to ur question

1) identify the following as commerically siginficant monomers:
-vinyl chloride
-styrene
by both their systematic and common names

2) describe the uses of the polymers made from the above monomers in terms of their properties:
-vinyl cholride
-styrene

chloroethylene is a significant monomer because it's used to manufacture PVC (polyvinyl chlride)...

polyvinyl chloride is water and flame resistant thus it is used in shower curtains and raincoats

i doubt u need to know the properties of the monomers and their uses... well for their uses ... they are simply used to manufacture useful polymers...

hmmm ... have u aksed ur teacher about this???

perhaps its ability to undergo addition polymerisation.... (i think it undergoes addition polymerisiation)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
It can be used to make polyvinylchloride. :)

As a monomer, it isn't of much use.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
karen88 said:

This question PROBABLY won't be seen in the HSC, but could be in CSSA trials as the catholic trial papers are usually crazily odd.

The answer for your question, however, would definitely be the presence of the double bond. The question asks for properties that make it useful AS a monomer...not the monomer itself, but acting as a monomer.

My answer would be something like: the presence of the highly reactive double bond makes chloroethene a very suitable monomer as it will undergo polymerisation with ease.

H.....H
|......|
C = C
|......|
H....Cl

^structure of the monomer (a little dodgy, but we can ignore that.)

HSC
vinyl chloride is a plastic used in electrical wires, insulating. i had a question similar in my trial

richz

Big side chain provides stabiliy and rigidity therefore used in down pipes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)