question 10 (1 Viewer)

Rickdog

grand member
HSC
hey
all the question 10s in past papers seem near impossible for me to do
any tips etc on how to prepare for these Qs?
do u just have to know what to do?
thanks

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
Rickdog said:
hey
thanks
Hey, you need to realise that you are not only competing with the mathematics students who only do that course, but also the extension one mathematics people. The questions 8-10 are usually very difficult, depending on the exam, because the bos wants to distinguish the 2 unit people from the three unit people. If you are doing 3 unit maths you should be able to get most of these questions out, however if you arn't, yes, they will be difficult for you. All i can say is that you should just practise, practise, practise. That's all really. Just do as MANY past papers as you can, because that is the closest you will get to the HSC we will be sitting in 2 days. Also try the really old HSC's for practise with the harder questions (8-10), as they tend to be a tad easier than the more recent ones. GOODLUCK!!

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
Rickdog said:
hey
thanks
Hey, you need to realise that you are not only competing with the mathematics students who only do that course, but also the extension one mathematics people. The questions 8-10 are usually very difficult, depending on the exam, because the bos wants to distinguish the 2 unit people from the three unit people. If you are doing 3 unit maths you should be able to get most of these questions out, however if you arn't, yes, they will be difficult for you. All i can say is that you should just practise, practise, practise. That's all really. Just do as MANY past papers as you can, because that is the closest you will get to the HSC we will be sitting in 2 days. Also try the really old HSC's for practise with the harder questions (8-10), as they tend to be a tad easier than the more recent ones. GOODLUCK!!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Lol, you just made it three :p
Anyway back on topic, yes they will seem very difficult to do since you're only doing 2u (my assumption). My advice, is do lots of Q9/10 past papers, just as pixie_poo said, and leave them till last, so you can soughta build up on your confidence as you sit the exam. Good luck to everyone that's doing it on monday!!

Ghost1788

HSC
before you post read at least some of the other threads especially when the thread name is almost identical to the thread you made...

clicky

btw good luck and read my post + all the others there...

yabby

HSC
Rickdog said:
hey
thanks
If u find Q10 hard, just practice!
Usually q10 involves like 2 or more topics merged into 1 question.
know ur formulas well, and just constantly practice.But being theres only 1 day left, look over the past papers and try them. If you cant do them, get the solutions and see what your doing wrong...As pixie and riviet :p said, jsut try Q8-10...dont bother with the easy ones.

DeanM

HSC
my maths teacher told our class that you can always get atleast 3-4 marks from question 10... there are always those obvious marks that even an average student can get.. as long as you are confident with getting 1-8 ALL right, then scab afew from 9, and 10.. your doing bloody well

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Yep, new booklet for each question.

With Question 10, firstly as everyone else said, make sure you can get like 100% correct in Questions 1 - 8. (In all the past papers I did today I ended up losing ALL my marks in these questions thru silly mistakes)

Also maybe study up on Series Application (aka financial maths) and Maxima/Minima problems (from the calculus chapter of your textbook), since they're popular choices. (I'm not making predictions here; trig functions and the applications of calculus are also common).

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you could also get the odd geometry question for q9/10
btw if you could get at least 85/96 for the first 8 questions and get around 13 for the last 2 questions then ur on ur way to a b6

chin music

HSC
N/A
question 10 usually involves max or min problems so if youre really confused coz u dont know where to start just get an expression for what u need to maximise/minimise. This might involve common sense, not a method. And remember to prove max or min points with the first or derivative test AND with a graph. Remember if u look at it and say wtf i cant do that theres so much crap there u prob wont be able to do it but if u read the question and be confident and positive youll understand it much more clearly.

Bokky

HSC
Wats really surprising is the fact that most students will lose a lot of marks thru easy mistakes on easy questions, especially in the 1st question where it tests u on the VERY general maths. Things like putting the right things in the calculator in the right positions and right orders, things like percentages of prices, solving absolute value inequalities, and those sort of things. Coz i MYSELF lose a lot of easy marks in questions which are fairly straight forward asking u to prove something, show something and just simplify something. So be careful in those areas, go all the way back to the beginning of ur year 11 text book and just quickly revise and remember every rule, formula, and simple things like changing signs of inequalities, dividing of equations and subtracting or plusing equation sides, coz im assuring you that most students will fail to fully recognize these areas by doing easy mistakes. Ive tried every question from the 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 paper and ive marked myself and got an average of about 90/120 per paper which isnt all that great. Im finding it really easy now and im feeling confident for mondays paper. I do extension 1 but thats really hard for me and i just cant be buggered trying there lol so question 10 is a bit of a doozy for me but the clues are there for question 10, u just gotta look for em . good luck all ;)

Lahzy

HSC
Take This

Here is a simple tip for Q10's. Our teacher analysed past papers back to 1999 and figured out what are type of questions that are common in Q10's and it seems obvious that there will be a min/max question for they have been there the last 4 years but also they might sneak a superannuation question but they usually are always question 9.

HSC
Hey, does anyone happen to have copy of maximum and minimum problems like the onces found in Questions 9 and 10 from the HSC but not actually HSC questions cause I've done all the papers from the last 20 years. So just any from trials or whatever and preferably with worked solutions, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)