Quarantine Matters (1 Viewer)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
for the dot point which requires you to discuss the effectiveness of quarantine - how much detail do you put in on each disease/pest etc? oh, and i was thinking of doing citrus canker as one example of interstate quarantine in Australia - would it be wise to include the recent legislation that banned imports from queensland to NSW (passed july this year)?-i wasnt sure, because whilst you can talk about how AQIS is taking a strong, direct approach to quarantine of citrus canker, you cant actually say whether its worked yet...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
The measures taken - e.g. screening of interstate transport
How this prevents spread of disease/pests
How effective it is
Other measures which could also be used

Not too much detail, just know enough so that you can do a nice little discussion about it

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
It would be good to use an example.
Animal: Horses used in the 2000 olympics were quaratined for a period of time to ensure that they had no infectious diseases.
Human: For a period after the Black Death they quarantined anyone coming from areas that had the sickness.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
something important to remember (in evaluation) is that slowly developing viruses or diseases are not easily controlled by quarantine as they can go unrecognised for an extended period of time and have spread before they are detected. Quarantine is best for quickly developing diseases as symptoms are seen earlier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)