Quantity (1 Viewer)

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
hey guys,

well in the hsc exam i know it's quality not quantity, but i was wondering how long would a substantial essay be, provided that you've drawn upon everything that should be included

i usually write alot and i have no problem writing really fast and writing heaps

i guess what i'm asking is how much is every1 writing and what does the examiner consider "good shit"?

cheers

*Not long now guys!!*

kini mini

HSC
Depends on the size of your handwriting I reckon :)

Personnally I try to write at least 4 pages in an essay and 5 in a radio interview (for example) because there's quite a bit of fluff in those. I'm trying to write faster and go for the 6 page monster though - then if worst comes to worst I can go for the sympathy mark :D

quartic

Holy shit I usually struggle to do about 2.5 A4 pages in 40mins. I have average sized handwriting but I find I have a problem just writing fast enough. Though I have gotten good marks the comments generally say I sould expand more to reach the very top marks but I can't write any more in 40 mins. :(

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by quartic
Holy shit I usually struggle to do about 2.5 A4 pages in 40mins. I have average sized handwriting but I find I have a problem just writing fast enough. Though I have gotten good marks the comments generally say I sould expand more to reach the very top marks but I can't write any more in 40 mins. :(
Well, I have huge handwriting - 8 words per line. Some people have 12 words per line! But there are ppl at my school who do about 10 wpl and write 7 page essays :eek:

Milly

I write about 8-9 words per line and usually end up with about 5 to 6 pages for each module. I think if you have a general structure in your head when you're going in and just adapt it to the question then quantity/time is not a problem.

kini mini

HSC
Hand cramps around the 4.5 page mark just as I'm starting my conclusion are my main problem :p.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
remember, the HSC writing booklets are substantially smaller than A4 writing pad paper, and also, the lines are spaced more

quartic

Well lets just say that I won't be asking for a third booklet!

Anyway I know other people write a lot more than me and still get worse marks its just I can't see my marks improving without me writing more like 3.5 A4 pages (almost filling a writing booklet).

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Yeah, about 4, 5 pages is what our teachers say...
I manage 2... writing illegibly and small (let's say 12 words a line, but depends on mood.)
I know a coupla people who can squeeze 15 words on a line, and others who wrote 21 pages in all of paper 2 (or something like that).
Milly's method's probably right, I got stuck last time writing a conclusion for King Lear.

Come to think of it, one of our teachers said 7 pages (everything included). :mad1:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
if ur going for big essays, make sure u dun run out of time!
u might get too carried away in one essay and have only like 15 for your other module!

Cherries

I can manage anywhere between 15 and 20 words per line. My main problem is i can only manage about 3 to 4 pages. I was told by my teacher that six was an acceptable length. The only way i can manage that is to make my writing bigger. But i'm just not capable of doing that. I've been writing the same since year 3.:worried:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Cherries
I can manage anywhere between 15 and 20 words per line. My main problem is i can only manage about 3 to 4 pages. I was told by my teacher that six was an acceptable length. The only way i can manage that is to make my writing bigger. But i'm just not capable of doing that. I've been writing the same since year 3.:worried:
If you're writing that many words per line 3-4 pages should be fine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)