quanta to quarks dot points help (1 Viewer)

xeriphic

hey I'm almost finished my notes but I'm abit unsure about these dot points, if anyone could help that'll be great

1// Describe how Bohr’s postulates led to the development of a mathematical model to account for the existence of the hydrogen spectrum: (the mathmatical model was balmer's series, is that only apply to hydrogen right ?? also how do I determine the number for n

2// Gather, process, analyse and present information and use available evidence to assess the contributions made by Heisenberg and Pauli to the development of atomic theory

3// Describe Fermi’s demonstration of a controlled nuclear chain reaction in 1942

4// Solve problems and analyse information to calculate the mass defect and energy released in natural transmutation and fission reactions

5// Identify data sources, and gather, process, and analyse information to describe the use of:
]] A named isotope in medicine
]] A named isotope in agriculture
]] A named isotope in engineering

thanks

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Do a search through the quanta to quarks forum. Im pretty sure the first 3 are answered fairly recently.

Do you do chemistry because number 5 two of them are used in Chemistry.

Jase

HSC
A quick list of isotopes can be found on these sites->

Radioactive Materials

Isotopes and their uses

im sure you can conduct your own further research on specific isotopes.

Cobalt-60, Californium-252 and Iridium-192 are good ones. they have uses in more than one branch.

For number 4)

It's usually a matter of adding up the components of each side of the reaction eqaution, and then finding the difference and multiplying it by 931.5

heres a sample question: Find energy released when a Lithium atom combines with a proton and produces two Helium.
masses : proton = 1.008u
lithium = 7.016u
helium = 4.003u

kikujiro

I know for 3 - Fermi's thing, he modelled a chain reaction through laying mousetraps all over a floor and dropping a ping pong ball and watching it as it bounced on one mouse trap which snapped close, then wathcing as the ping pong ball kept bouncing around and making the moustraps snap shut.

And for 2 - Heisenberg came up with matrix mechanics - a mathematical model of the atom (i think) and the Uncertainty Principle - which should be in any text book but in a nuthsell states that there's a trade-off in accuracy when measuring the position or momentum of a particle . Pauli came up with the Exclusion Principle that states the no electorn in an atom ahs the same est of four quantum numbers, and this (somehow) explained the arrangement of electron orbits around atoms, and these ideas now explain most physical and chemical properties of matter (somehow...can you tell i rote learn?)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
2 - On December 2, 1942 at the University of Chicago, a group of scientists led by Enrico Fermi established the world’s first self-sustaining controlled nuclear chain reaction. Fermi used 46 tonnes of natural Uranium and Uranium oxide interspersed in 40,000 graphite blocks. The graphite acted as a moderator, slowing the neutrons down to allow a greater chance for the U-235 to absorb neutrons. Cadmium rods were inserted into the pile to absorb neutrons and control the reaction

CrashOveride

HSC
Some of the later dot points seem so vague.
How many of the particle accelerators are we suppose to know about? excel only talks about two and so does that catholic guy on the summary website ?

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
my excel physic book refers to all of them (4 or 5). you should have a basic idea of how they all work. they are pretty similar so it shouldnt be hard :)

xeriphic: ive answerd all the Bohr dotpoints in another thread

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
kikujiro said:
I know for 3 - Fermi's thing, he modelled a chain reaction through laying mousetraps all over a floor and dropping a ping pong ball and watching it as it bounced on one mouse trap which snapped close, then wathcing as the ping pong ball kept bouncing around and making the moustraps snap shut.

And for 2 - Heisenberg came up with matrix mechanics - a mathematical model of the atom (i think) and the Uncertainty Principle - which should be in any text book but in a nuthsell states that there's a trade-off in accuracy when measuring the position or momentum of a particle . Pauli came up with the Exclusion Principle that states the no electorn in an atom ahs the same est of four quantum numbers, and this (somehow) explained the arrangement of electron orbits around atoms, and these ideas now explain most physical and chemical properties of matter (somehow...can you tell i rote learn?)

lol dude, i think its referring to his real nuclear chain reaction at the university squash court

allstarr69

i was going to use cobalt-60 for medicine and sodium 24 for engineering (detecting leaks in pipes) would the sodium 24 be classified as an engineering isotope?

garry

kikujiro said:
i thought this is a uncontrolled chain reaction

garry

5// Identify data sources, and gather, process, and analyse information to describe the use of:
]] A named isotope in medicine- Iodine-131 is used to treat cancer of the thyroid by inject into blood where it concentrates in the thyroid, paticularly where abnormal growth is taking place.
]] A named isotope in agriculture- Phosphorous-32 (search detail yourself)
]] A named isotope in engineering- .......

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
the best one for medicine is technitium-99m its used in over 80% of nuclear medical procedures. its used for screening images of the body mostly skeleton and heart but sometimes other organs. lots of info about it if u search it too!
agriculture the best is phosphorous-32 which is used to determine the rate at which plants can "take in" fertilisers.. used in order to improve productivity.
engineering iridium-192 is very common in detecting cracks,fractures in plastics and metals by sendin this isotope thru the material then producing an image on photographic screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)