Quad SLI? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah the dual 7800GTX was kinda a matter of when, but seriously, the power you'd need just to run them would be insane :S

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Dell to partner nVidia on Quad SLi is quite a surprise. One would think that a company like Falcon Northwest or Alienware would be the first to partner. Or even Asus, with their dual GT already working in SLi.

Dell making high end tweaked computers is like McDonalds opening a high end posh restaraunt.

Stan..

HSC
AsyLum said:
Yeah the dual 7800GTX was kinda a matter of when, but seriously, the power you'd need just to run them would be insane :S
Well they do have 1KW Power supplies...

Collin

HSC
N/A
Surprise indeed, for Dell had quite a formidable business partnership going on with ATi.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2664&p=2

More info on that 'Renegade' XPS Dell desktop. Also sports a OCed 4.26GHz Intel.. warrantied.

That article also shows off other neat propositions at the Consumer Electronics show.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
thats a crazy PC. but in my opinion the flames on the case dont make it look too proffesional

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Also sports a OCed 4.26GHz Intel.. warrantied.
Presler 955EE can do that quite easily with a voltage bump on air. Nothing special, even for the warranty.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Stan.. said:
Well they do have 1KW Power supplies...
I'd want to see this thing render levels from scratch before i spent that much on something. Quad SLi setup + 1KW power for 4-5 fps would shit me no end

Collin

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Presler 955EE can do that quite easily with a voltage bump on air. Nothing special, even for the warranty.
I'm not talking about the actual OC being special, I was asserting my pleasant surprise that someone like Dell is venturing into extreme gaming machines, stocking out machines with OCed components. How often do we see big name companies selling out machines like this? Sure, some may offer an OCed BFG card, but we rarely (if ever before) have seen a big company which traditionally serves the average consumer such an extreme machine with an OCed CPU.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
maybe Dell wants to experiment with the higher up market. The niche rich assholes who can afford to buy such machines

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
JKDDragon said:
I was asserting my pleasant surprise that someone like Dell is venturing into extreme gaming machines, stocking out machines with OCed components.
Me too. Doubt anyone in the market for such high end overclocked components will even bother with Dell. It just doesn't have the prestige of certain other brands. Not to mention Dell ruins a powerful graphics system with an Intel processor.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I agree with both of you, infact with Templar pretty much replying to Sasha's post. That is, Dell might be trying to drive into the extreme gamer's market.. but as a gaming solution, it doesn't hold so well with hardcore gamers. Kinda like how gamers with knowledge of hardware bag out Alienware, regardless of how well they actually perform.. since it's inevitable that it's still gonna cost an arm and a leg for one of their machines.

Then there's the issue of performance vs. price, even if you built the machine yourself. I mean we have people out there reporting through benchmarking that a 256MB GTX bottlenecks a A64 4800+, imagine how overwhelmed that Intel will be at the hands of 4 angry 512MB GTXs.. :eek:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
vizman said:
o mi god.. imagine the expense 4 X at least $800
Consider the standard Dell SLI system costs around $3-4,000 you can expect this custom designed PC to cost at least double that.
Yeah so those computers would costs around $7500 USD !!!
That equals to about $10k AUD !!!

Still, i'm wondering if any non-nVidia brands like gigabyte or asus would be able to produce one. The overall prices should get lower and more gaming enthusiast can get happy.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Dell's general image is that it sells computer to tech illiterate people (99% of the time). No one with expertise is going to buy a Dell, at least for performance needs, and that will be a hard image to change. Dell is perhaps trying to do too much, it is very hard to appeal to both the budget users and the hardcore gamers.

When you purchase a computer of this calibre you don't really care about the cost, only the performance.

The 955EE at 4.26GHz is a decent processor and is capable of upstaging the X2 4800+ at stock in certain areas, including comparable gaming. However gaming is still where the FX57 still shines. At least until the next model comes along.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)