Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Quad Core - 2.66 Ghz

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunny

meh.
HSC
But would it hurt to have the extra cores there?
Not really no, it wouldn't hurt anything (other than your wallet).

I'm going to pay the same amount anyway so i might as well get what's best XD
Whats best though? :p Two cores at 3GHz, both of which you're more likely to use, or the quad core 2.66GHz, where in most cases you're only going to use a maximum of 2 of the 4 cores anyway?

I have a Q6600 (quad core 2.4GHz) and got it when it was hitting some rock bottom prices late last year. AFAIK, the only time I've actually only used all 4 cores was when I was executing some image processing with a program I wrote. I've thought about getting a dual core with a higher clock speed to replace the Q6600 as I much rather have the higher speed than the extra cores I don't need, but I don't have the extra money to spend that way atm :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Not really no, it wouldn't hurt anything (other than your wallet).

Whats best though? :p Two cores at 3GHz, both of which you're more likely to use, or the quad core 2.66GHz, where in most cases you're only going to use a maximum of 2 of the 4 cores anyway?

I have a Q6600 (quad core 2.4GHz) and got it when it was hitting some rock bottom prices late last year. AFAIK, the only time I've actually only used all 4 cores was when I was executing some image processing with a program I wrote. I've thought about getting a dual core with a higher clock speed to replace the Q6600 as I much rather have the higher speed than the extra cores I don't need, but I don't have the extra money to spend that way atm :p
Ah i understand now :D

Hehehe yeah i'll get myself a dual core. And wow did i spot myself a good looking deal on ebay here - 100% feedback and there's pick up so if there's any problems i could just go see the comp shop people ^^

You guys reckon it's pretty good or should i look elsewhere?

And should i upgrade it to a 1TB HDD or a 1gb graphics card (i'm leaning towards to HDD because i always download anime hehe)?

sunny

meh.
HSC
The G31M3 mobo is a low end cheapie, like $60?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Ah i understand now :D

Hehehe yeah i'll get myself a dual core. And wow did i spot myself a good looking deal on ebay here - 100% feedback and there's pick up so if there's any problems i could just go see the comp shop people ^^

You guys reckon it's pretty good or should i look elsewhere?

And should i upgrade it to a 1TB HDD or a 1gb graphics card (i'm leaning towards to HDD because i always download anime hehe)?
If you insist on buying a prebuilt PC, get that and buy a second graphics card (HD4850 is a good choice) from MSY Technology Pty. Ltd.-The Name you can trust-more than 10 years in computer industry and replace it yourself.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Ahoy,

I've brought the computer and it is bringing me happiness XD

Oooo do you really need a 2nd graphics card? oO

I think my old computer didn't even have one aha

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Eh? Why? I bought my 19" Samsung LCD from them for only $180, they have top stuff and their stuff is cheap as.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Depends what you want to do with it.

Games or Studies?
Both, but more web browsing and graphic design when i'm forced into it.

It works perfectly though ^^

Even when i had a bazillion things open and copy/pasting thingos and installations going at once on top or burning it, explorer only froze for like 2 secs and then went back. Man i remember on my old comp it took over 2 min or i had to kill explorer.exe and re run it =="

Even with games crossfire/SLi is useless unless you have a massive monitor and have to jack everything to max. A HD4850 or HD4870 is fine imo
OOOooo what do you mean by big? As in more than 30"?

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
yeah something like that. Up to 22" just stick with one highend card, anything over is just overkill. what gfx card are you using at the moment?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
yeah something like that. Up to 22" just stick with one highend card, anything over is just overkill. what gfx card are you using at the moment?
I've got a 22" screen now, using the right now for graphics is the Geforce 9600 GT 512 MB DDR3 . It all looks fine though, i guess the real test will come tomorrow when i get Fallout 3 ^^

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
I've got a 22" screen now, using the right now for graphics is the Geforce 9600 GT 512 MB DDR3 . It all looks fine though, i guess the real test will come tomorrow when i get Fallout 3 ^^
Fallout 3 is a great game, your 9600GT 512 MB should be able to run it well albeit it won't be able to max it out. There's really no need to max it out anyway, it'll look great regardless.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Oh i see, I'll get one of those graphics cards if i find a cheap one... i've still a laptop to buy this year XD

dp624

HSC
The pc looks ok, should be able to handle most things you throw at it for at least the next 2 years, ha

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Ive heard only good things about the 9000 series and the HD48 series, although my freind had a quirky HD4870 which liked to switch between 500hz to 700hz at random occurences.

Then again the guys who told him this told me i needed a QC proccessor just to play CS:S o_O

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
The pc looks ok, should be able to handle most things you throw at it for at least the next 2 years, ha
yeah agreed, I wouldn't recommend messing around with it yet or buying a new GFX card - it should be able to eat games for the next 2 years no problem.

chansthename

HSC
the economy has blown prices up right now so if you can wait then do so. If you really must get a card going for an ATI 4850 is probably best for you. Crossfire is an absolute waste of money and electricity, you will only get a minor improvement so unless you need a really huge epenis go with a single GPU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)