Q's about Aeronautical(Space) Engineering (1 Viewer)

comp247

HSC
Hi I'm a 08 HSC student who is desperate of some info for the uni choices. I got 99.65 and am interested in the aeronautical(space) engineering course at USyd. Can anyone, preferably those in the course, give me some general info about the course?
I want to go to NASA if I get into this course. What are the possibilities of that being achieved? Or any other space organisations. I dont mind going international.
Also, how are the job prospects? I heard the it's not that great in Australia but to get into these major agencies, you need work experience of around 3 years to be considered.
How are the starting salaries?
And do you just design the same part of an aircraft or space vehicle the rest of your career?
What other jobs can you have with this course?
Do many go into further study after completing their bachelors?
How many drop out or change to other courses? What are the reasons of doing so?
And what are the main differences between Aeronautical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical?
Thanks for your time :)

antarctic

HSC
I want to go to NASA if I get into this course. What are the possibilities of that being achieved?

In my 4 years doing this degree, I haven't heard of it happening. Having said that, I don't see any reason why it can't happen. One thing to keep in mind is that many jobs in NASA will require US citizenship, and it is similar with positions at many other international space agencies (i.e. citizenship of the country running the space agency)

I heard the it's not that great in Australia but to get into these major agencies, you need work experience of around 3 years to be considered.

I haven't heard about that, but I'd say it would depend on the job you were applying for

How are the starting salaries?

http://www.careers.usyd.edu.au/students/forms/GDS2006eng.pdf

However, the data is about 2 years out of date.

And do you just design the same part of an aircraft or space vehicle the rest of your career?

What other jobs can you have with this course?

Alot of things will factor into this, but what I can say is that alot of the skills you learn as part of this degree are transferable to many different domains (especially if you do a combined degree)

Do many go into further study after completing their bachelors?

Not sure about how many, but there are certainly opportunities to pursue post-graduate studies at USyd or other institutions in Australia or overseas.

And what are the main differences between Aeronautical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical?

The faculty handbook will tell you exactly which courses an aero, mech and mtrx degree involves, and will also give a brief description of each course.

3a. School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering - Engineering handbook - The University of Sydney

spartan31234

HSC
are the job prospects Ok for mechatronic engineers or is it worse than aerospace?

Have u heard of mechatronic engineers working as mechanical engineers?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
are the job prospects Ok for mechatronic engineers or is it worse than aerospace?

Have u heard of mechatronic engineers working as mechanical engineers?
If you want to do mechanical, do mechanical. You might still get a job with a mechtronics degree but you'll be at a disadvantage compared to the guys who did straight mech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)