Q7 - Shm (1 Viewer)

sHin

People had been predicting that a water wave SHM question would eventually make another appearance (last time it was asked was back in the early 80s, apparently). I'm glad I studied it last night. So how'd everyone go with this? I thought it was pretty easy besides the last part of the question.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
This question was fucked. Sif im gonna read 2 paragraphs when theres like 10 minutes left. Didnt even attempt binomial. Max mark for this section 2/12.

S

Shuter

I got it out except didn't bother doing the last bit due to time restraints. I had also done this question yesterday.

tempco

HSC
Shuter said:
I got it out except didn't bother doing the last bit due to time restraints.
yep thats what i did :D.. smart choice as it paid off in the end

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
omg_a said:
i almost did the last part, till i realised in my time panicked state i hadnt read the part ehich said low tide is 6m at the harbour. grumble.
It didnt say low tide was 6m it said the difference between high and low tide was 6 m

S

Shuter

Yeah, I put down a token guess of 6:35 I think, so who knows.

Bridget

This question was easy, I reckon I got 5/6 for SHM. Didn't even try the binomial haha

bevstarrunner

Maths Nut
HSC
I think the answer was that it had to depart at 4:28 in order to leave the harbour by 4:48

I personally didnt get the answer, but a few diff people at my school got that so i am going to take their word for it

aud

HSC
sHin said:
People had been predicting that a water wave SHM question would eventually make another appearance (last time it was asked was back in the early 80s, apparently). I'm glad I studied it last night. So how'd everyone go with this? I thought it was pretty easy besides the last part of the question.
I knew tides were my worst area, so I made sure I relearnt it :D And I'm very glad I did... what did you get for the latest time though?

aud

HSC
bevstarrunner said:
I think the answer was that it had to depart at 4:28 in order to leave the harbour by 4:48

I personally didnt get the answer, but a few diff people at my school got that so i am going to take their word for it
The 4:48am sounds good... maybe I forgot to minus the travelling distance... oops...

becany

chriscity1 said:
What yous get for the locus of the parabola?
That sucked!! i worked out that PQ = -4, but then i couldnt cancel out the p + q...so my locus didnt eliminate the parameters:(
and also in question 4ciii....how many weeks was it?

Jase

HSC
pq=-4 Im guessing you found the gradients as p and q instead of p/2 and q/2.. a surprising number of people did that, so don't worry.

Also.. i got 5:35am as the time that they needed to leave the wharf. damnit.. hard..

4c) i think i got 6 weeks

Last edited:

johnamos123

bevstarrunner said:

yer i got that too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)