Q2Q - Lots of dp (1 Viewer)

Mathematician

Describe Fermis demonstration of a nuclear chain reaction in 1942.

Describe Fermis initial experimental observation of nuclear fission.

Discuss the importance of conservation laws to Chadwicks discovery of the neutron.

With this
Define the components of the nucleus (protons and neutrons) as nucleons and contrast their properties

For properties do u just say protons are positively charged and neutrons are uncharged subatomic particles. Do u add that they are both hadrons and the quarks that make them up?

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
What text book do you have? Jacaranda covers all this pretty well.

1. I'm pretty sure that this one refers to the nuclear reactor that he set up in a squash court in a Chicago university in December 1942. He used Uranium Oxide set into a huge number of graphite blocks, and cadmium control rods. He released the control rods (slowly - over a number of hours), and the reaction became self-sustaining.

See this site - I haven't read it - so I dont know what its like http://www.npp.hu/tortenelem/genezis-e.htm

2. Experimental observation: Fermi thought it would be cool to fire neutrons at as many elements as he could find, but when he started firing them at Uranium (because its heavy...) weird things happened. Like - it split into two nuclei of about the same size - thus - fission.

3. Chadwick found that when he fired alpha particles at Berillium, some unknown radiation was given off. This radiation knocked protons out of the parrafin wax which was placed behind the Be. But if this radiation was gamma radiation (like what people thought), then the energy the proton had would have been much larger (MUCH!) than what was experimentally discovered. So for the energy to be this low, their must have been another particle there taking this energy away: dada - the neutron...

4. Nucleons are the parts of the nucleus: so Protons and Neutrons. Their properties are basically all listed on the datasheet, as you basically just need to know their charges and masses i think...

I think that because this dot point is a fair way before the only dp in q2q that mentions quarks and other smaller particles, that you probably dont need to mention things like hadrons/leptons/quarks in this part.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
since the verb is contrast, u dun have to list similarities... i think the 2001 paper was just i) define nucleon ii) identify and describe one difference in the property, they were like 1mark and 2 marks respectively, 2nd was part 1 mark 4 the property and 1 mark for correctly applying it to the proton and neutron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)