Q14 in multiple choice?? (1 Viewer)

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
I said D, the most reactive element will oxidise (go into solution) and is the anode
1. x<Pb
2. Pb<y
3. Pb<z
4. y<z
You need to use you potential values for the last one to see that they both use Pb, and so z must have a higher voltage potential or something and so

put them together you get x<Pb<y<z
That's how I did it anyway, don't know if it is 100% right

chelseafan

bograt u ordered them in increasing reactivity.
the question asks for increasing ease of oxidation.
The more reactive the metal is the easier it will oxidise
that means that z,y,Pb,x is the answer, A

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
fcuk!!! i didnt read the question properly... "increasing ease of oxidation of the metals"...should have been D

chelseafan

boutfiddy said:
my reasoning was:
negative terminal is the anode where oxidation occurs so from standard table of reductions x has reduction potential of 0.22 V and oxidising potential of -0.22 V. from same sort of thing y has oxidation potential of 0.97 and z has 2.47 so puting them in increasing order gives d
The question asks "Increasing EASE OF OXIDATION"
you have interepreted the question incorrectly.
The more reactive the metal, the easier it will oxidise!
So as oxidation occurs at the negative terminal then and this is where the more reactive metal is. Ordering the metals by increasing reactivity, which is what you have done! gives D. But this is not the question, it asks for increasing ease of oxidation, ie) from most reactive to least reactive. Giving A, the answer

chelseafan

fuckin can sum1 argue their point!!
YOU all say the answer is D but u give false reasoning and some of u dont even fukin give a reason at all like this dickhead

xxxcaixxx said:
The "answer" is D....if they ask reduction. The answer is A
so sure about it without giving an explanation, what a wanka

KungPow

HSC
From increasing ease: As you progress forward, it becomes easier to oxidise. So you would start from the one with lowest oxidation potential, and then go upwards. Thus, it should be D.

Hope that made sense. If not, er...it's too late now anyways. No point arguing.

chelseafan

ok answer this... which is easier to oxidise gold(unreactive) or iron(more reactive)... ie) what is easier to achieve gold oxide or iron oxide?? Then u will understand the answer to this question

sub

Hangon...ppl are saying diff shit...is it A or D??? pls one last time.

boutfiddy

HSC
chelseafan04 said:
ok answer this... which is easier to oxidise gold(unreactive) or iron(more reactive)... ie) what is easier to achieve gold oxide or iron oxide?? Then u will understand the answer to this question
isn't iron easier to oxidise which means increasing ease of oxidation would be less reactive to more reactive

KungPow

HSC
boutfiddy said:
isn't iron easier to oxidise which means increasing ease of oxidation would be less reactive to more reactive
Exactly what i was trying to say.

tennille

HSC
x is clearly the least reactive one in comparison to lead. Then it is lead, because when it is compared to y or z, it is less reactive. So you are left with z and y. You could prolly distinguish them somehow but since you know the first two, the answer is D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)