Q&Q - Need help with Davisson and Germer Experiment. (1 Viewer)

Mathematician

What does annealing mean?? Why did that cause diffraction ?

"The surface of the nickel consisted of many microscopic crystals bonded together at random orientations" - phrase 1

What are they talking about?? Atoms of nickel are bonded together with equal spacing, arent they? or are they talking about something completly different?

After phrase 1 , the book then goes on saying "and it was expected that even the smoothest possible surface would appear rough to the electrons". Well didnt it(it did diffract)???

Whats the significance of this and what does it mean " Large single crystal regions, which we're larger than the width of their electron beam, were produced."

Thanx

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i think it regularise(bullshit word #206) the lattice structure 2 form crystals, ie b4: lattice orientated in all directions, after: lattice aligned in crystalline structure so it can acts as a diffraction grating

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
we dont' have to go on about all that annealing crap do we? i'm just goin on with the purplish hue notes.. and it just sez d&g scattered electron beams off the nickel crystal.. none of this annealing stuff.. (??)

Mathematician

I dont think so, since excel only talks like 1 small paragraph on this which doesnt mention annealing etc...

But I still wanna understand it , so i can reason what they did out in the exam if it doesnt come :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)