Push through in english advanced or drop to standard? (1 Viewer)

Chiprr

HSC
Got my marks back for my second assessment which was a multimodal presentation in the form of a podcast about a novel we got to choose from a list. I ended up getting like 60% which felt fair for the effort I put in considering I hated the requirements of a task. I dropped from 26/118 to 61/110. How am I meant to analyse a novel in a colloquial way? I'm considering dropping to standard so I don't have to put in so much effort just to get screwed at the end of year 12. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to me staying in advanced or if the extra time should be spent on my other subjects (3U maths, physics, economics, engineering studies, IPT). Only about 20 people do really well in standard and I feel being part of that group would be more advantageous to me rather than staying in advanced and being in the middle of the cohort.

dav53521

HSC
It really depends because even though you may be low in ranks it doesn't mean you're doomed to fail and if you go to a school that does well in English then you can get a decent mark as I was ranked mid 130s in an adv cohort of about 240 and I managed to get by with a band 5.

But if you feel like you won't do well in English adv that you'll do significantly better in English std then you should drop, however, just because English std is easier doesn't mean you're guaranteed to do better as according to UAC's 2022 scaling report 1% of students who did english std got a band 6 while 15% got a band 6 in adv and the median band for std was a 4 while adv was a 5. Which somewhat indicate while english std is easier it is harder to perform well in compared to adv. But even so I know people who got good ATARs with english std so it's not impossible to do well with std but you'll need to work for it.

While you shouldn't base your subject choices of percentage of students who who got a band 6 and the median band it is important to know that dropping to std doesn't automatically mean you'll do better because it's easier and you'll rank higher so I would recommend thinking hard about it and ensure that you're 100% happy with your decision.

Last edited:

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Got my marks back for my second assessment which was a multimodal presentation in the form of a podcast about a novel we got to choose from a list. I ended up getting like 60% which felt fair for the effort I put in considering I hated the requirements of a task. I dropped from 26/118 to 61/110. How am I meant to analyse a novel in a colloquial way? I'm considering dropping to standard so I don't have to put in so much effort just to get screwed at the end of year 12. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to me staying in advanced or if the extra time should be spent on my other subjects (3U maths, physics, economics, engineering studies, IPT). Only about 20 people do really well in standard and I feel being part of that group would be more advantageous to me rather than staying in advanced and being in the middle of the cohort.
hmm ngl tho i don't think ull get more time to focus on ur other subjects if u drop to standard. also keep in mind that the multimodal is always a bit meh, even in yr 12, bc all take home tasks for english are trash. how r u doing with in-class exams tho? i think that's the important thing, bc if u started at 26th then surely you're doing something right?

basically the only difference between advanced and standard is the fact that adv does Shakespeare
otherwise its pretty much the same

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
plus std english is full of drop kicks lol no offense. even if u did drop down to std english u need to pull urself together because u cant like depend on anyone because most of the students don’t care abt the work + they don’t submit the tasks.

in my std eng class, only 9 submitted the multimodal task, out of 9 of them, 4 of them were handed in late and 11 was missing 😍

Chiprr

HSC
It really depends because even though you may be low in ranks it doesn't mean you're doomed to fail and if you go to a school that does well in English then you can get a decent mark as I was ranked mid 130s in an adv cohort of about 240 and I managed to get by with a band 5.

But if you feel like you won't do well in English adv that you'll do significantly better in English std then you should drop, however, just because English std is easier doesn't mean you're guaranteed to do better as according to UAC's 2022 scaling report 1% of students who did english std got a band 6 while 15% got a band 6 in adv and the median band for std was a 4 while adv was a 5. Which somewhat indicate while english std is easier it is harder to perform well in compared to adv. But even so I know people who got good ATARs with english std so it's not impossible to do well with std but you'll need to work for it.

While you shouldn't base your subject choices of percentage of students who who got a band 6 and the median band it is important to know that dropping to std doesn't automatically mean you'll do better because it's easier and you'll rank higher so I would recommend thinking hard about it and ensure that you're 100% happy with your decision.
Thanks for the reply. Was mainly focused on how I would be impacted by scaling which is the wrong mindset to go into it with. I’ll definitely need to talk to my teacher and do some thinking. Wasn’t sure whether adv was much of a “boost” to your atar compared to standard but if I have a higher chance of achieving better with scaling in adv I’ll probably keep it. I can enjoy English at times so I’m hoping it won’t be awful.

Chiprr

HSC
hmm ngl tho i don't think ull get more time to focus on ur other subjects if u drop to standard. also keep in mind that the multimodal is always a bit meh, even in yr 12, bc all take home tasks for english are trash. how r u doing with in-class exams tho? i think that's the important thing, bc if u started at 26th then surely you're doing something right?

basically the only difference between advanced and standard is the fact that adv does Shakespeare
otherwise its pretty much the same
Our first assessment was creating writing so it wasn’t really representative of skill or anything. I was accelerated for maths and English advanced last year but decided to repeat bc I wasn’t entirely happy with my results. I finished the year 4/10 with like 70% as an average mark. The assessment was a bit of a hit to my confidence but I’ve felt a bit better in English this year.

realised wanting to drop to standard was a bit of a rash thought and was just because of my assessment results. Definitely considering keeping advanced more now than I have been for a few weeks now.

Chiprr

HSC
plus std english is full of drop kicks lol no offense. even if u did drop down to std english u need to pull urself together because u cant like depend on anyone because most of the students don’t care abt the work + they don’t submit the tasks.

in my std eng class, only 9 submitted the multimodal task, out of 9 of them, 4 of them were handed in late and 11 was missing 😍
My mate in standard had a similar thing happen and like 1/4 were caught using ai, and 1/2 were accused or something. A bunch didn’t submit and a lot of them will probably drop to studies. Definitely more in favour of keeping advanced after reading a couple other comments.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
both the cohort and texts for eng adv are probs better. we still have a year left to get better at english (yay, fellow '24 !) and multimodals are always iffy.
NO. THE TEXTS ARE NOT NECESSARILY BETTER. ID RATHER BE DOING SHERLOCK HOLMES THAN MF SHAKESPEARE

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
As a series note, if you are planning to go into a quantitative degree program (BE, BCom, BSc, BCompSci, BIT, etc) your English course and band will essentially be irrelevant.

People who teach in quantitative departments rarely care how good you are at textual analysis (as long as you can read and write and are not completely incapable of reading a book/paper).

Consequently, it would be highly advisable to drop to standard and reallocate your advanced English study time towards math/physics which are almost always the preferred competencies for quantitative programs. In fact, many degree programs will actually require this as prerequisite material for some of the first-year courses (Some which I have taught/do teach include: UNSW - MATH1131/MATH1141, USYD - MATH1001, UON - MATH1110/PHYS1210).

So, if you are going for a quant program, this is the general advice I provide my students, and this is what I would strongly recommend to you.

Chiprr

HSC
As a series note, if you are planning to go into a quantitative degree program (BE, BCom, BSc, BCompSci, BIT, etc) your English course and band will essentially be irrelevant.

People who teach in quantitative departments rarely care how good you are at textual analysis (as long as you can read and write and are not completely incapable of reading a book/paper).

Consequently, it would be highly advisable to drop to standard and reallocate your advanced English study time towards math/physics which are almost always the preferred competencies for quantitative programs. In fact, many degree programs will actually require this as prerequisite material for some of the first-year courses (Some which I have taught/do teach include: UNSW - MATH1131/MATH1141, USYD - MATH1001, UON - MATH1110/PHYS1210).

So, if you are going for a quant program, this is the general advice I provide my students, and this is what I would strongly recommend to you.
I plan on going into engineering so I see how the extra effort may not be worth staying in advanced, but from what other people have said since more people get band 5's and 6's in advanced, and so it can be somewhat easier to get a higher band compared to standard.

I understand what you mean by english course and band being irrelevant if I'm trying to get into engineering but I'm unsure of whether the potential boost in band and thus mark would be an advantage to my atar to help make it easier to achieve a higher atar and thus easier to get into a course. If its relevant, my goal uni is either UNSW or UQ.

HSC

On the flip side however, arent there a lot of uni courses with eng adv as assumed knowledge?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)