Purchasing an older edition textbook (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Hey guys,

Is it okay to purchase an older textbook for Contracts or just in general? For contracts, they've updated the edition in 2012, but I don't really want to purchase the revised edition as it is $230, whereas if I purchase its previous edition (second hand) I'll save 50%.

Would it be detrimental if I purchase a previous edition textbook for Contracts?

Thanks

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
They general method to solve these kinds of situation is:
1. Goto the library.
2. Get the new edition.
3. Get the old edition.
4. Look at the required readings in the course outline.
5. Compare the books.
6. Do you own calculus to see if it's worth it.

You can photocopy from the new book what's missing in the old book, but whether it's worth it or not is up to you.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
What do you suggest?
I infer from this question that you are too lazy to follow through with the method I suggested (don't blame you, i cbb too). A short-cut is to just ask the lecturer "can I use the older edition". If they give you a wishy-washy answer, then just play it safe and buy the new edition.

izzy88

HSC
If you arent able to actually compare the two editions then the best thing to do is ask the lecturer. They will know if you can do it with the older book. The thing about law is it can change quite a bit between editions, however some areas more than others. Contracts course tends to be the more settled basic principles being taught (from what i remember). Criminal law on the other hand can change so dramatically old textbooks aren't worth anything.

In a practical sense it may be difficult to work with the old textbook if defences to readings are done purely by page number. You may need to borrow the new one from the library and figure out what all the topics are on the readings and then find the equivalent in the old book - and sort out what you are missing. However if not much has changed, and the structure of the book is the same, then this shouldn't be too much trouble.

acemusic415

HSC
I infer from this question that you are too lazy to follow through with the method I suggested (don't blame you, i cbb too). A short-cut is to just ask the lecturer "can I use the older edition". If they give you a wishy-washy answer, then just play it safe and buy the new edition.
LOL sorry, that was phrased entirely wrong. I meant, what would you do?

acemusic415

HSC
If you arent able to actually compare the two editions then the best thing to do is ask the lecturer. They will know if you can do it with the older book. The thing about law is it can change quite a bit between editions, however some areas more than others. Contracts course tends to be the more settled basic principles being taught (from what i remember). Criminal law on the other hand can change so dramatically old textbooks aren't worth anything.

In a practical sense it may be difficult to work with the old textbook if defences to readings are done purely by page number. You may need to borrow the new one from the library and figure out what all the topics are on the readings and then find the equivalent in the old book - and sort out what you are missing. However if not much has changed, and the structure of the book is the same, then this shouldn't be too much trouble.
I looked at the two editions, the revised edition has around 15 new cases concerning contracts. Do you think I should worry over this?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I just remembered that the trade practices act have been replaced, if the previous edition is indeed from 2007 then I would assume the chapters on TPA would have changed substantially. That in itself would convince me to buy the new edition, but do your own calculus, if you don't mind putting up with the inconveniences and risks of using the old edition, then that's okay. Personally I would stick with the new edition out of laziness and fear of the unknown, you might have a different personality.

acemusic415

HSC
These are the current revisions added to the new edition:

Contract: Cases and Materials, 12th Edition, continues to be a leading casebook for students of contract law in Australia. Significant new legislation and cases extracted in this edition include:

the Australian Consumer Law;
new provisions in the Electronic Transactions Acts;

United Group Rail Services Limited v Rail Corporation New South Wales [2009] NSWCA 177; (2009) 74 NSWLR 618 (agreements to negotiate in good faith);

Saleh v Romanous [2010] NSWCA 274 (promissory estoppel and the parol evidence rule);

Masterton Homes Pty Ltd v Palm Assets Pty Ltd [2009] NSWCA 234 (incorporating terms);

Western Export Services v Jireh International Pty Ltd [2011] HCA45 (contract interpretation and construing terms);

Tabcorp Holdings Ltd v Bowen Investments Pty Ltd [2009] HCA 8; (2009) 236 CLR 272 (rectification damages);

Agricultural and Rural Finance Pty Ltd v Gardiner [2008] HCA 57; (2008) 238 CLR 570 (loss of right to terminate by waiver); and

Master Education Services Pty Ltd v Ketchell [2008] HCA 38; (2008) 236 CLR 101 (statutory illegality).

Reflecting the way that contract law is taught in Australian professional entry law courses, students will find Contract: Cases and Materials, 12th Edition ideally suited to their course requirements.

By the looks of it, its just an addition of new cases. If I purchase the older edition, I don't think I should be disadvantaged too severely?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Generally speaking, I would always try and get the specified edition. There are exceptions though and the only way to buy something that is useful is to first check with your lecturer. This semester I'm doing a finance subject where I'm using a previous edition textbook (since it was given to me a little while ago). According to the lecturer the content is virtually identical and there's really no disadvantage in using it. For other subjects I haven't been as lucky and have had to buy the book they've listed.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The ACL is a significant change. Keep that in mind.

izzy88

HSC
I also tend to purchase the latest editions for law - it is always better to be safe then sorry. The other thing to think about is whether you have another contract course later (eg at USYD there are two compulsory contracts courses two years apart - well one and a half in any case) - by the time you get to the second contract course if you have the older edition it will be very out of date, whereas the new edition will still generally be fine.
The ACL is a big change as well, although to be fair I don't think we studied much legislation in our first contracts courses, it was mostly case law.

However the easiest thing to do would be to wait and ask your lecturer in first class, or send them an email now, if you want to be really sure. I have had lecturers who are happy for people to use the older editions- they will know how different it is and whether those difference are important to the course content taught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)