Publications by UTS Journalism Students (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
So, you want to get published?

I thought those that may be interested in studying UTS journalism might find reading some of this stuff helpful.

On Friday and Saturday UTS Journalism students ran Newsday, a day where we operated like a real life newsroom, and produced an online and print publication from it.

You can access the online publication at www.newsday.uts.edu.au

Most of the stories were produced by first year journalism students (mine is the one about cleaners) and were sub edited by professionals and legeled.

Also, UTS has a few other newspapers where you can get your stuff published. The Point (Glebe, Ultimo, Pyrmont and City) and the Southside News (Redfern, Surry Hills, Chippendale, Alexandria) are community papers published by UTS. There is also the student paper Vertigo. UTS students also write a literary newspaper called Book News, as well as the paper for the Sydney Writers Festival called Festival News. They also write Reportage, which can be found at reportage.uts.edu.au.

Also, if you want to do radio journalism, the community radio station 2ser fm is based at UTS.

I just thought people who may be considering UTS journalism may be interested in the publications the uni puts out and the opportunities one has to get published.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Another two online magazines where you could get your stuff published:

Vibewire http://www.vibewire.net - a youth media zine, they publish articles on a variety of issues and topics.

The Student Leader http://www.leader.org - a cross campus student magazine (apparently they are launching in print format later this year). Mostly university related articles.

HSC
where can i find some more information on Vertigo? ...please :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
That obvious was it lol.

For vertigo, pick up a copy, they are always kicking around on the tables near the lifts on the humanities building on lvl 1 and 2. They have info on how to contribute inside, plus they give an indication of the type of content they are after and deadlines for the next issue.... plus how to contact them.

Plus I forgot to say, if you know anywhere good to get published, post it up here.... we all need the bylines baby!

belleree98

Wow that's a great article!!

Those links were really helpful thankyou..I'm interested in Journalism at UTS as well. Just a question - is it still possible to become a Journalist if you do a BA in communication- writing and cultural studies as opposed to BA in communication- Journalism??

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You can study anything and still work towards a career in journalism. You could also use your electives in the writing degrees to take some journalism subjects to give you the basic skills. Pick whichever degree sounds most interesting to you. If you get involved with student publications, and try and get some stuff published your chances improve considerably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)