Public Transport (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
nekkid said:
did anyone read that article in the daily telegraph about airy fairy plans (or proposals) to build new railway systems in a certain area (i think it was strathfield... something to do with abandoned M4 tunnels?). they made comparisons to london's tube railways, and the railway systems of paris and new york if im not mistaken. pretty ambitions i must say.
If they think people are going to stop using their cars just because their is public transport they will be very disappointed.

tempco

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If they think people are going to stop using their cars just because their is public transport they will be very disappointed.
no one in theyre right mind would try and replace cars with public transport in this point in time.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
nekkid said:
no one in theyre right mind would try and replace cars with public transport in this point in time.
And thats the thing...

In the next couple of decades the price of oil will be so high that private transport will fail to be economical to the average joe. This is where public transport should come in, and it has to be planned for now.

Trogie

HSC
nekkid said:
did anyone read that article in the daily telegraph about airy fairy plans (or proposals) to build new railway systems in a certain area (i think it was strathfield... something to do with abandoned M4 tunnels?). they made comparisons to london's tube railways, and the railway systems of paris and new york if im not mistaken. pretty ambitions i must say.
There have been a lot of proposals put forward to help the ailing public transport system, some good and some not so good. Does anyone remember the metro-west link proposal a few months back? Out of all the proposals talked up in the media that had to be the one of the most sensible and feasible. A high speed undergound train link between the city and the western suburbs was a great idea considering how poor the current links are and the crappy state of the trains on the western line. Further it would decrease current congestion and increase the number of commuters catching the train hopefully taking people out of their cars. Yet typical of Bob Carr, that idea was shot down pretty quickly.
Why is infrastructure such a problem for this government? other developed countries like Japan as people have mentioned don't have nearly as many difficulties.
Maybe come election time Bob wont be so dismissive

HSC
I make extensive use of public transport, and while it's not superbly convenient (I leave home at 5:03 in the morning, to arrive in Wollongong at about 8:00 [A trip that would take about an hour and a half by car], with the return trip taking between about 5:20 and 9:00), I accept that it beats the hell out of walking (Seeing as I can't drive), and enjoy it for what it provides me with. The costs are fairly reasonable, especially considering that the service runs with very few people (My bus commonly has less than 10 people on it, and the train probably less than that), and while it'd be nice to be able to travel wherever I want for the grand total of $0.50, I can accept the fact that the people responsible for providing this service need to be paid, and that the network and system require maintenance, etc. Frankly, as it stands I'm glad that I have a service provided at all, as it is not a high-demand route.

A big problem I often have with people's complaints about public transport is that they seem to think it should be perfectly geared to suit their own individual needs. I think if more people were to put aside the initial inconvenience and use public transport, the increased demand would see significant improvements in the system. At the moment, it's not really viable to expect significant spending improving services which are for the most part hugely under utilised (To clarify, under utilised in relation to those choosing private modes of transport. I realise that my experience tends to be different to the crowded city services, but this is not what I'm commenting on).

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
A big problem I often have with people's complaints about public transport is that they seem to think it should be perfectly geared to suit their own individual needs. I think if more people were to put aside the initial inconvenience and use public transport, the increased demand would see significant improvements in the system. At the moment, it's not really viable to expect significant spending improving services which are for the most part hugely under utilised (To clarify, under utilised in relation to those choosing private modes of transport. I realise that my experience tends to be different to the crowded city services, but this is not what I'm commenting on).
I would expect public transport to be more inconvinient than driving of course. But when it takes an hour and a half longer using public transport than driving why would I use it. If I included the inconvinience public transport would take me more than 2 hours longer than driving for not much of a reduction in price, maybe $5. If I count the value of my time as my hourly wage rate then it costs me $60 in wasted time, much more than the extra $5 I save catching public transport.

You're kind of using backward logic. People will start utilising the services when they start to improve, not the other way around.

And the worst thing about all of it is because I am a student I get half price. If I don't get the train because it costs too much compared to driving even though I am getting half price tickets there is something wrong.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I would expect public transport to be more inconvinient than driving of course. But when it takes an hour and a half longer using public transport than driving why would I use it. If I included the inconvinience public transport would take me more than 2 hours longer than driving for not much of a reduction in price, maybe $5. If I count the value of my time as my hourly wage rate then it costs me $60 in wasted time, much more than the extra $5 I save catching public transport.
I take it despite the fact that it takes much longer out of necessity, others do it out of concern for the environment. I know it's not a terribly compelling prospect for most to take it by choice, but I don't see it improving any time soon without further public interest. Put in your position I'd most probably do the same thing as you (But then again, it's pretty nice being able to sleep on the way, if I tried that on the road I'd die :)).

iamsickofyear12 said:
You're kind of using backward logic. People will start utilising the services when they start to improve, not the other way around.
I can see what you're saying there, but I think it's the only way it's going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense for anyone to spend significant amounts on improving the system if the vast majority of the public have made no indication that they'd even consider using it. The way I see it it's sort of a chicken and the egg situation though, obviously neither is going to happen without the other, but then neither is really making the first move either any time soon.

iamsickofyear12 said:
And the worst thing about all of it is because I am a student I get half price. If I don't get the train because it costs too much compared to driving even though I am getting half price tickets there is something wrong.
That's true, there are huge efficiency problems somewhere along the way, the system needs significant improvement, but I still think that if anything it'll be improved public interest that acts as the catalyst for this change.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
But then again, it's pretty nice being able to sleep on the way, if I tried that on the road I'd die :)).

I can see what you're saying there, but I think it's the only way it's going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense for anyone to spend significant amounts on improving the system if the vast majority of the public have made no indication that they'd even consider using it. The way I see it it's sort of a chicken and the egg situation though, obviously neither is going to happen without the other, but then neither is really making the first move either any time soon.
I could use my time on public transport to read or do uni work or sleep or I could spend an extra hour and a half at home doing it.

The reason no one cosiders using it because its so bad and no one thinks its getting better any time soon so they dismiss it all together. I think a lot of people like their cars and aren't going to give them away, but if the services are improved more people would use it.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I agree with whoever said this originally....we need to start planning now for the future. The population will keep rising, and no matter how many more roads we build, eventually not everybody will actually FIT on the roads. Therefore we need a long term investment to change the rail system into something that is more viable and RELIABLE.

When i went to Paris and vienna, I was absolutely astounded by their metro system. yes, it is largely underground (it's a wonder the city doesn't collapse), but damn it is FAST. I have never seen faster trains in my life. And there was a train every 2-4 minutes on every line, without fail...and they were never late. But the speed that impressed me the most was on the service that went from paris to avignon to nice.....standing on the platform and watching the trains go by, if you seriously blink, you miss it hurtling past.

tempco

HSC
llamalope said:
When i went to Paris and vienna, I was absolutely astounded by their metro system. yes, it is largely underground (it's a wonder the city doesn't collapse), but damn it is FAST. I have never seen faster trains in my life. And there was a train every 2-4 minutes on every line, without fail...and they were never late. But the speed that impressed me the most was on the service that went from paris to avignon to nice.....standing on the platform and watching the trains go by, if you seriously blink, you miss it hurtling past.
yeh thats similar to singapore, except most of the railway over there is elevated. a train ever 2 minutes, and hella fast. but on the other hand, countries like singapore and paris (not as small as singapore, but still) are small compared to nsw.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
public transprot in sydent (and in newcastle actually) is still way better then in a lot of smaller places. Like Albury-Wodonga. To get from uni to Albury I ahve to pay 2.20 and catch two busses most of the time. Plus there are no busses after like 6pm. Or on sundays.
That said the Sydney system isn't particulary good, just better then in a lot of places.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Another thing I'd like to add; riding bikes instead of driving needs to be discouraged not the other way around. These bike riding morons take up a lane going 20km/h and all it does is slow traffic. If I had a car and I sat in the left lane doing 20km/h and a cop saw me I'd be pulled over. Add to that bike riders don't pay to use the road either.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i dont mind buses, mainly coz you generally get less hobo people trying 2 grope you...trains piss me off though - once for an excursion it took about 3 and a half hours to get from richmond to central station. that was the most boring, hot, sticky, frustrating ride i have been on in years.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i dont mind buses, mainly coz you generally get less hobo people trying 2 grope you...trains piss me off though - once for an excursion it took about 3 and a half hours to get from richmond to central station. that was the most boring, hot, sticky, frustrating ride i have been on in years.
Well that isnt that long when you consider the distance between Richmond and Central Station, for instance for long would it take by car? Still thats a long period of time but to get from Manly to Pennant Hills Station taking 3hrs is ridicules

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
it took about 3 and a half hours to get from richmond to central station. that was the most boring, hot, sticky, frustrating ride i have been on in years.
Welcome to my daily life of uni :) It sucks that on the one of the hottest lines - air conditioned trains do NOT exist. One day it took over 4 hours to get home!

Korn - its very quicker by car, depending on which way you go. I live in Ryde and if I get a lift home from uni, it would take about 1/2 an hour. Cause traffic usually isn't that bad. 1/2 an hour by train - you'd still be waiting for the train cause they come every once an hour :rolleyes:

tempco

HSC
3 hours... ouch. and i thought my 35 minute ride was boring.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
Welcome to my daily life of uni :) It sucks that on the one of the hottest lines - air conditioned trains do NOT exist. One day it took over 4 hours to get home!

Korn - its very quicker by car, depending on which way you go. I live in Ryde and if I get a lift home from uni, it would take about 1/2 an hour. Cause traffic usually isn't that bad. 1/2 an hour by train - you'd still be waiting for the train cause they come every once an hour :rolleyes:
What? Last time I went to Windsor it took over an hour from Rouse Hill and the distance between Richmond and Ryde is even further. Also the distance between Central Station and Richmond is a bit longer then Ryde and Richmond

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
What? Last time I went to Windsor it took over an hour from Rouse Hill and the distance between Richmond and Ryde is even further. Also the distance between Central Station and Richmond is a bit longer then Ryde and Richmond
I think it depends which way you go. We just usually go along old windsor road, turn into old windsor road and then the back way through carlingford. If you know backways its helpful. Also, we tend to travel home at the time of day when there are very few cars on the road. Add about another 1/2 an hour to that time and it will get you to central. It took a friend of mine slightly over an hour the other week to get from Richmond to Surry Hills.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
I think it depends which way you go. We just usually go along old windsor road, turn into old windsor road and then the back way through carlingford. If you know backways its helpful. Also, we tend to travel home at the time of day when there are very few cars on the road. Add about another 1/2 an hour to that time and it will get you to central. It took a friend of mine slightly over an hour the other week to get from Richmond to Surry Hills.
Yeah I think we went at peak time or something on a Tuesday last year

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
ok..... i have a public transport complaint....

This morning, I got up to go to uni as usual, I got to the bus stop on liverpool road at 10:02, and I waited for the 10:07 bus (480 or 483)......

I did not catch the bus at 10:07, I did not catch the 10:27 bus, I did not catch the 10:47 bus, I did not catch the 11:07 bus...... I caught a bus at 11:15. Not a single bus did pass my way that was going via Sydney university. When I FINALLY got on the bus, I incredulously asked the bus driver what happened to the other 4 BUSSES.. he said he had no idea, but HE was on time (which he wasn't). So, angry and pissed off that I had missed my first class of only two classes today, I got on the bus and went to uni

This afternoon I rang up the transport info line to ask what the hell happened, the man told me that they would get back to me in 3-5 WORKING DAYS!!!!!

I hate public transport

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)