Public school system and HSC (1 Viewer)

oliviag

HSC
Hi Guys!

Hope you're all enjoying your holidays and relaxing a bit.

Anyway, i've been concerned about this for quite a while, but, I attend a public high school on the Central Coast - this year our highest ATAR result was 97.4 and we had 10 people achieve above 90+ ATARS. We were ranked 2nd comprehensive high school on the coast. No idea what school ranking we are though. :blink2:

Well, my dream is to achieve an ATAR of 95+ to hopefully get into a combined media/law degree at USYD, UNSW or UTS. What kind of results/ranks should I be trying to achieve (reasonably) to get this ATAR? And seriously, the rest of my cohort.. uh, lets just say aren't the brightest of kid (as much as I love them)

Thanks guys!

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Well if your cohort isn't that good then you should be aiming to get rank 1 in your subjects because then they can't pull you down? Well someone told me as long as you rank 1 in a subject your marks cannot be dragged down in that subject so try rank 1 in many as subjects as possible if your cohort is bad.

ZeeZee3

HSC
Yeah, its best to go for as high as possible to ensure you of the most preferable ATAR. For you, it looks like you need to be in the top 3 for each of your subjects to achieve your ATAR aim although having a few first places can help you for sure.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
To do Law, you will most likely need to be at the top of all your subjects and absolutely blitz the HSC exams if you want any chance of getting in directly.

oliviag

HSC
Sweet, yeah, i'm aiming to be in the top 3 of each subject at least - at the moment i'm ranked 1st in all except extension 2 english.
Ah, maybe law is a bit unrealistic? I don't know...

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Sweet, yeah, i'm aiming to be in the top 3 of each subject at least - at the moment i'm ranked 1st in all except extension 2 english.
Ah, maybe law is a bit unrealistic? I don't know...
Keep the hard work up then :D So you can sit in those ranks throughout hsc and then own the exam and you should be all set :)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing is impossible :D, just need to have perseverance and remember work hard :).

I'd say if your cohort is weak atleast top 2 or 3. I found it pretty safe being only a slight marks down the first person in the hsc, although my cohort was massively weak for all my subjects. Also keep in mind that some people are going to be studying hard maybe during the holidays, you may think your cohort isn't bright at the moment but they can suddenly rise in the half yearlies so becareful and don't get too excited at the moment :). Good luck

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just stick to it, try and keep your ranks up as high as possible and just give it your 100%, in the end you may even surprise yourself as to how high you can get.

fakermaker

HSC
I attended a public school ranked close to 400.

Nobody else in my cohort got an atar of over 80, my brother and I ranked 1st and 2nd in all of our subjects.

His atar: 95.65
My atar: 96.65

There's nothing wrong with public education, assuming that you put in the effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)