Public debating tips or advice? (1 Viewer)

Hopp

HSC
Hi,
I'm doing a public debating competition with my school this year as it is the first time my school has enrolled in such an event. I have watched some types of public debating during the earlier years of my high school career, but still am a complete amateur to the art. Would anyone have some productive advice that is essential to ensure in a debate forum?

Thanks!

GabbyS

HSC
Hello! I've done quite a lot of debating over the past couple of years, and this is what I've learned:

-Choose a speaking role that you feel will be best for you. First speaker will do lots of introductory stuff, very structured and formulaic, and you have to remember the details of your role, like introducing your main points your individual speakers will cover, providing scope for the debate, etc. Minimal rebuttal in First, you won't rebut at all if you're affirmative. First is a good role if you like structure, but feel more nervous about large chunks of your speech being largely unprepared. Second has a good balance of rebuttal and presenting your own arguments, and I personally think it's the best spot to flex your muscles and find out where your strengths lie. Third speaker will be mostly rebuttal, with summary. Nothing new. Definitely not for the faint hearted, as the rebuttal requires a lot of conviction and confidence in what you're putting forward. Fourth doesn't talk, just helps with preparation and writing rebuttal notes during the debate. Don't do this if you actually want to experience debating.

- When you and your team get given your three topics to number in order of which you would like the most to the least, think about not only what you are knowledgeable about, but what could happen if you're given a side of the debate you don't agree with or is difficult to argue. I once had to argue for live animal export, just after all those horrid news stories came out from Indonesia. It's bad luck, but you've got to work with what you're given. Think about the strengths of the individual members of your team, too.

- Have a plan when you go into preparation. Prep usually lasts 1 hr, and it goes fast, so use it wisely. It's a great idea to have a whiteboard and some markers in the room. Get everybody to write up their ideas (a mind map is a good way) and then sort out who's saying what. It's best to structure by time limits, e.g. have the first 10 mins for brainstorming as a team, 5-10 minutes for team lines/scope/allocation/things everybody needs to know, and maybe do the next 40 mins or divided into 20 mins of writing and talking about arguments/sorting out specifics of arguments, and 15 minutes of writing and silence. It's good to have a few minutes at the end to calm yourself down and check you have everything you need. Get 3rd and 4th speakers to help 1st and 2nd with their palm cards.

- Go into the debate feeling composed and confident. It's great if your school has a formal uniform, wear it. Being well-dressed seems like a very small point but having a sharp uniform and having everyone in the team looking presentable and cohesive gives off an air of 'knowing what you're doing', and might intimidate your opponent as well as giving a good first impression to the adjudicator. If you get nervous, focus on your breathing and be still. Don't start fidgeting or biting your nails. What seems almost not noticeable to you the adjudicator will see. If you don't have much confidence, fake it. Debating is not only about your ideas, it's also about making people listen and pay attention, and believe you. Roll your shoulders back, hold your head up, speak loudly and clearly. Demand the attention of your audience.

- Read the news. Find out what issues are going on in the world. Topics about the environment, immigration, patriotism, education, and current affairs always come up. Old favourites include legalising euthanasia, should Australia become a republic, involvement in overseas warfare, private vs public schools, and the like. Be prepared for topics like this. You will occasionally get curveballs, but rarely.

- After the debate's over, regardless of who won, listen to the adjudicator's comments. Learning from your mistakes is crucial. They might point out areas you need to work on to strengthen your debate skills, like your structure, length of time you speak, your manner (people who move about or don't look at the audience drive adjudicators nuts), or your ways of presenting your team's arguments. Take note of everything they say. Ask them questions.

- Have fun! Don't get caught up in being nervous or winning or losing, because debating is an opportunity to learn a lot and also meet new people. If you excel and move through the higher levels of the state competitions you will meet people from all over the place and make invaluable friendships. Enjoy the experience of putting yourself out there and don't get embarrassed if you make little mistakes! Don't give up on it either, certificates and things from school debating look great in a CV and show that you're a confident person with ideas, initiative and skill.

Wishing you the best of luck with your debating!!

Hopp

HSC
Wow, thanks a whole heap for all the information, it is greatly appreciated. The other students in my team are relatively new to debating I believe, so I'll show them your post too.
Good luck in your HSC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)