pub/club vs bottleshop work (1 Viewer)

sickk

HSC
is there anyone whos had experience in either of them and which would you rather do, so bottle shop seems like the hours are better, the job a little easier, dont have to deal with drunk crowds?

pub - more fun, longer hours, betterpay? more exciting work?

im just looking for anyone whos worked in either, or preferably both to help me out as im looking for a new job for being 18 in a month

spazamataz

HSC
I work in a supermarket/bottleshop two in one thing. From my RSA i can see that they are kind of two different industries, a bottleshop is more retail industry, while pub/club is hospitality.
Retail pay isnt at the top, but the hours are regular, work is pretty easy (just scanning, unloading and packing) and if you screw anything up you just call someone else. I think a pub/club would be much more difficult and restricting with its hours, like you wouldnt be able to go out while your friends are all out and that.
Depends on what you want. Retail can get boring after a while, and a pub/club might be more exciting with new things to deal with every day.

liquid-tension

HSC
i currently work in a bottle shop, Very very good job, great hours, great owners,managements emplyees. I have had experience working bars at weddings and functions which is also fairly good, set wages for these events but the tips are great, and people say a friendly smile and a good attitude dosn't pay off ;).

I would recomend starting at a bottle shop just the learn your stuff, spirits, beers, wines in particular i nearly dropped dead when some one asked me on my first day what was the difference between a savigon Blanc and a semi sav blanc.
You might not think wines are important skill to learn for bar work but trust me it pays off. also concider taking some bar skills coruses. correct pouring, measuring and ediqutte are very important skills..

feel free to Pm me
sorry about the spelling... late erg

chefman21

HSC
N/A
I've worked in nightclub as a glassie and then bartender. It's a lot of fun. You meet some really cool, fun people, you see some hilarious stuff and you will meet friends you will keep for life. You will party like an animal. Cheap drinks and knock offs were awesome. Think $2 basics (spirits and beers like XXXX, Extra Dry, Cold etc) or $3 premiums (Johnnie walker Black, JD, Stella, Corona, James Squire, Knob Creek, Grey Goose, all your liqueurs). Thirty bucks and you'd be on your knees. But...

If you are studying, it's really bad. Hours aren't particularly long (around 8-10 per shift 3 days a week) but it's nightshift. Working and then finishing at 6:30am then having a lecture or tute at 10:30 or an assignment to do the next day really mucks around with your marks i.e HD to Distinction or Credit. Credit to low Pass or fail... Some unlucky people had to work until 6ish and then had an exam at 8:30am.

I'd go work in a bottleshop. Not like Dan Murphy's, but a premium bottleshop. Work with people who can teach you stuff and learn to appreciate what you are selling. Learn about wines - how they are made, malolactic fermentation, solera method, different types of oak, volatile acidity, tasting notes, history, and wine matching etc.
Learn about beers - the different types i.e varieties of ales (e.g dark, pale), stouts, lagers, wheat beers etc. Learn about how they are made and what, when and how to drink it (with).
Learn about your spirits and liqueurs...
All this stuff will bid you well in later life. You'll never buy a bad beer or wine again. Friends will love you when you get older and start having dinner parties when you can match wines or pour some amazing beers....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)