Psychology (1 Viewer)

jkie

Anyone doing Arts in Psychology at Syd Uni?
Can you give me some info, good? what you do? hard? alot of work? UAI mark entry? Just give information.

Cheers

moderngirl

HSC
I don't quite get what you mean by arts in psychology. Do you mean taking arts subjects within a Bachelor of Psychology degree?

btw i'm a first year arts student at Usyd.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
My gf does Psychology under an arts degree here.

There is quite a fair bit of work as the psych subjects, especially in later years, become quite diverse.

moderngirl

HSC
In first year psych in semester one you complete six topics which cover various aspects of psychology from social psychology, neuroscience, personality theory, statistics, etc. I agree that it is quite a lot of work for one subject, a bit different to how i thought psychology would be about. I didn't expect there to be that much science stuff.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I'm in arts doing psychology 1001 as a subject- uai to get into arts was 83 this year.
I find it really interesting and really not that work at all compared to my arts subjects-
assessments include a short essay, an exam and a few webct quizzes (which u only need to pass to get 100% in). you also have to be experimented on for 4 hours by older psyc students. i think for alot of people, psychology is alot different to their expectations. however I really enjoy it and would reccommend it.

jellybeenz

HSC
Mostly filling out questionaires and computer simulation thingys... its awesome...

I love psych, my fave subject this semester!

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
loving it too. Particularly loving the distinction I got for my essay (almost a HD...woohhhoooo) It's a really interesting subject, even if you only do it for first year and never do it again in your life.

it IS a science subject, it IS in the faculty of science, so of course, there will be some scientific elements too it (mainly in neuroscience and stats i guess), but it is worth it.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
yay we all got distinctions. what tute groups are u guys iN?
im in m14a with vanessa

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
it's not that hard to get distinctions, it's a first year essay basically just asking you to write a summary and wank a bit for the critique

anyhoo, if you want to understand everything in the first year subject then yeah it's heaps of work and contact hours (3 lectures + 1 tute). but lectures are miss-able, and the exam is just multiple guess questions. heaps cruisier than other 1st yr subjects i've done.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Toodulu said:
it's not that hard to get distinctions, it's a first year essay basically just asking you to write a summary and wank a bit for the critique
that's a big generalisation.

the essay question is very specific, and if you answer broadly, airy-fairy, and just summarise then you won't get that distinction "that is so easy to get".

everyone's capabilities and abilities are different, so don't take people's word as gold. it's challenging, yes, and requires extra work. some topics are interesting and some are quite dull, but that's the same as every subject.

unfortunately, talking to students who have done the subject isn't the most effective (even though we're told to do this), as people are different, and for some, it is hard to get a distinction.

:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)