Psychology prerequisites / UAI (1 Viewer)

Joe Bullard

Some Random
HSC
Hey all, long time reader first time writer.

im in year 11 at the momnet and i would like to do physcology if i could when i finish year 12 next year. i am doing pretty basic subjects at school.. are there any subjects i HAVE to do at school in oreder to get into physcology at uni and do any of you know what UAI (if needed .. not sure sorry) you neded to get in to it?? tyvm for anyone who responds

veridis

droog
HSC
Re: Psychology..which uni has the best course?

UNSW probably has the slightly better psyc course from what i hear. USyd focusses mainly on theoretical foundations in first few years with applications come later while UNSW apparantly teaches you more practical stuff earlier. depends on what you want out of your course really, i was always planning on trying to get masters/PhD if i choose the psych carreer path so USyd suited me nicely but if you just want 4 years then get a job look into UNSW. Mac's course has been improving recently as well.
oh and be warned first year psych is massive everywhere, it's one of the most popular filler units for people to take. upside is it's usually an easy D if you pay attention cause so many people arent taking the unit seriously.
as for the maths at USyd you have 2 stats units over the 4 year course, you don't need too much high school maths for it but there are some complex concepts involved.

joe - varies wildly, to do B.Psych at USyd you need 96ish, but of course B.Psych only accounts for about half of Psych hons students at USyd and only a tiny percentage of psych majors. if you're willing to work hard to get into honours then as long as you get into a B.Sci or B.Arts you can start the psych major but it is a risk as without hons jobs prospects arent anywhere near as good(similarly compared to masters only having a bachelors with hons limits your job opps)

satcbrady

HSC
N/A

how do you get into psych if you've graded with a non-psych undergrad degree?

ps: i don't mean psych as in simply a major in psych but a full, professionally accredited degree in psych

veridis

droog
HSC

at USyd to get into any of the postgrad psych courses you need psych hons so you'd have to do the grad dip before doing masters/phd/dcp

as for accreditation i'll just copy paste my info
Currently in NSW, full registration as a professional psychologist requires four years of study in psychology and an additional two years of postgraduate study or two years of experience under supervision. Full membership of the Australian Psychological Society requires an honours or honours-equivalent fourth year, followed by a fifth and sixth year of postgraduate study.

edit - not sure exactly why you mean by non psych degree so thought i should point out you can get the psych major and thus psych hons through heaps of different degrees

Last edited:

satcbrady

HSC
N/A

veridis said:
at USyd to get into any of the postgrad psych courses you need psych hons so you'd have to do the grad dip before doing masters/phd/dcp

as for accreditation i'll just copy paste my info
Currently in NSW, full registration as a professional psychologist requires four years of study in psychology and an additional two years of postgraduate study or two years of experience under supervision. Full membership of the Australian Psychological Society requires an honours or honours-equivalent fourth year, followed by a fifth and sixth year of postgraduate study.

edit - not sure exactly why you mean by non psych degree so thought i should point out you can get the psych major and thus psych hons through heaps of different degrees
thanks veridis for the insightt.

edit - what I meant is that..
if I graduated with a non-psych undergrad degree, and I'm interested in switching to study psych, can I still take a "bachelor of psychology (hons)"?
Or do I need to get into psych through something else (like masters:graduate entry) since I've already completed an undergraduate degree (that is not psych)

veridis

droog
HSC

did you complete it with a psych major? cause you can apply for hons from anywhere. you might get transferred into the B.Psych or B.A.(Psych) stream after entry into hons depending on where you came from but i know of at least one person doing a B.Lib Studies (hons) in psych and that counts as much as a B.Psych. anywhere with a psych major can do hons, if you dont have a major you need the Grad Dip which allows entry into hons.

satcbrady

HSC
N/A

veridis said:
did you complete it with a psych major? cause you can apply for hons from anywhere. you might get transferred into the B.Psych or B.A.(Psych) stream after entry into hons depending on where you came from but i know of at least one person doing a B.Lib Studies (hons) in psych and that counts as much as a B.Psych. anywhere with a psych major can do hons, if you dont have a major you need the Grad Dip which allows entry into hons.
thanks for the information!

what--if

HSC
I've been researching the UNSW's B Psychology, but it doesn't seem to list any HSC prerequisite subjects. Do you need 2U Adv Maths is needed to get into either USYD or UNSW?

Last edited:

apologue

HSC
Nah, there are no prerequisites. I didn't take a science or maths subject for the HSC and it hasn't been a problem at all.

yy-d

HSC

fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
B Psychology isn't the only degree that is professionally accredited degree for psychology in Usyd you know ;) You can still have professional accredited degree with Arts, Liberal Studies, EcoSocSci ... I forgot the rest...

Btw there is no prerequisites

ok so if there's no prerequisites...then, are there any subjects we should do so that it may help us in uni if we want to do psychology?

for 11 and 12 that is.

spence

HSC

i think i read somewhere that the stats course in second year assumes 2 units of maths, but i don't think it really matters. and apparently biology and chemistry are useful, but not required at all

lapin.mignon

HSC
Remembering some stuff statistics would help, but it's not essential. It'd just make it easier to understand when they go through it again.

3Lachlan2

HSC
So in terms with NSW mathematics,

would General Maths suffice?

or would it be absolutely necessary for 2 Unit Advanced Maths?

I need this question answered ASAP please.

3Lachlan2

HSC
Nah, there are no prerequisites. I didn't take a science or maths subject for the HSC and it hasn't been a problem at all.
I see from other sources, like University of Newcastle that you need "mathematics', im not sure whether they mean 2 unit or general. u havent had a problem? what level is the statistics at? ive heard the only maths is high level statistics and im wondering what to do. i'm definitely doing a math subject. so the question is 2 unit advanced or general, which one do i need?

youandmexo

HSC

ok so if there's no prerequisites...then, are there any subjects we should do so that it may help us in uni if we want to do psychology?

for 11 and 12 that is.
biology for sure :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)