Psychology: How to (1 Viewer)

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

So I am doing Psychology this year (PSYC1001) and it is great, but it got to like week 5 and I realised I had not cracked open my Psych Textbook even once.

I have just been absorbing and taking notes at every lecture and going through the course reader + psyche essay writing book. But I have never needed to once look at the actual Psychology textbook.

So my question is: How do you study Psyche?

Should I have been reading the textbook from day 1? A little bit each day?

Or is all the information I need to know provided in the lectures and course reader, and the textbook is merely there for reference?

Should I just use the PsykTrek interactive CD for all my study?

I'm worried cause the textbook is HUGE and I will have to read a lot to catch up.

Any help would be great :)

Thanks. :cool:

J

Last edited:

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon you should read the textbook once in a while. Yeah, you do get a lot of the information from the lectures and course readers, but reading through the textbook can give more details on the topics you're learning about and introduce you to more concepts related to the discipline you're learning about. For all we know, the department might decide to pull a tricky one and test us on a concept not taught in the lecture but is in the textbook. Of course, that's a worst-case scenario. And then you'll also need the textbook for certain sections in your psych manual, which hopefully you've also got.

As for PsycTrek, the only merit I find in it are the videos and simulations. The teaching sections are only a simplified version of what's in the textbook, but I guess if you want to review what you've learned then PsycTrek can be useful in that.

How I learn psych? I have a very basic overview of the curriculum from what I've studied back in Year 11, but there are parts which I'm unfamiliar with and that's where the lectures, tutorials and occasional textbook reads come into play.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
They only examine you on lecture (and tute???) material, so that's technically all you need to study. But the textbook will help clarify difficult topics etc.

Essentially, just going to lectures and making notes from that will get you a pass/credit but the textbook will help you get a D/HD

gaugau1

HSC
Have you started on ur essay ? I hate essays I keep putting it off :( I have read both texts and sort of cone up with a pn argument

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Have you started on ur essay ? I hate essays I keep putting it off :( I have read both texts and sort of cone up with a pn argument
I've started reviewing the starter reference for the essay topic but i haven't done psych essay and yeh i hate essays as well

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Oops, thanks for the replies guys. Yes it has all started to make sense to me as I have been going through the Course Reader and it basically says when to look at the textbook.

I've had homework this whole time and didn't even realise it! :eek::eek::eek::read::read:

Oh and I haven't started my essay yet either... and week 9 is fast approaching. But my Philosophy and English essays have been taking priority. :awesome:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
isnt it psyc1001

lecture notes should be sufficient, use book for clarification only. psytrek is alright too i guess but i barely used it, barely touched my textbook and got a distinction

gaugau1

HSC
For psych 1001 if u fail ur essay but go well In the exam does that still mean u fail the course or do u have to fail both the essay and the exam to fail the course ?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
For psych 1001 if u fail ur essay but go well In the exam does that still mean u fail the course or do u have to fail both the essay and the exam to fail the course ?
From what I've gathered from all the units I've completed in the past, you can pass a unit even if you fail an assessable task. As long as you get the 50%+, you should be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Yes, you can fail the essay (<50%), but still pass the course overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)