Psychology Essay (1 Viewer)

gettinbetter

HSC
Don't know if there's already a thread about it, so I apologize in advance if there is.

Has anyone started/finished the Psychology essay, or is there anyone who've already done 1st year Psychology willing to help out a 1st year Psychology-newbie ?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
No-one's going to do the essay for you or give you copies of their old ones, but if you have a specific question, post it and we'll see if we can help. Just saying 'can you give help plz?' without stating where or how you need the help is a little bit useless.

As it happens, at least half a dozen of us have done psych so you're in the right place.

gettinbetter

HSC
I wasn't asking anyone to 'do my essay for me.'
I was just in need of someone to help me start my essay (i.e. give me pointers for the introduction) as I've no idea how to start a university essay (APA format) =S

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A few pointers:

1) If you could post the question, it would help.

2) APA format refers to the referencing structure used. It doesn't really affect how the essay is actually written.

gettinbetter

HSC
Sorry about that, here's the question

Perilloux, Easton, and Buss (2012) investigated sex differences in the perception of
sexual interest and claim to have found support for a short‐term mating strategy in men
with evolutionary origins. Are their claims and conclusions justified by their findings?

Starter Reference
Perilloux, C., Easton, J., & Buss, D. (2012). The misperception of sexual interest.
Psychological Science, 23(2), pp,146‐151.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
i'm doing that one too! XD just wondering, is it ok if our sources are just mainly peer reviewed journals or should we have other publications as well? and how can we find other sources besides using psychINFO?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm doing that one too! XD just wondering, is it ok if our sources are just mainly peer reviewed journals or should we have other publications as well? and how can we find other sources besides using psychINFO?
I usually just use the Summon system on our library's website.

gettinbetter

HSC
Guess I'm not the only one that's lost haha.
I thought we were only supposed to use psychINFO for our resources/references ?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I wasn't asking anyone to 'do my essay for me.'
I was just in need of someone to help me start my essay (i.e. give me pointers for the introduction) as I've no idea how to start a university essay (APA format) =S
Get yourself a copy of Burton - An Interactive Approach to Writing Essays and Reports in Psychology, or similar (Caleb would have suggested it at the start of sem). It's a book that goes through each step of the essay and reports (useful for second sem), and gives examples. Also details all APA referencing. You can pick up a copy at coop or second hand for about $30 and it's definitely worth it. Additionally, the library has several copies in the short loan section.

Sorry about that, here's the question

Perilloux, Easton, and Buss (2012) investigated sex differences in the perception of
sexual interest and claim to have found support for a short‐term mating strategy in men
with evolutionary origins. Are their claims and conclusions justified by their findings?

Starter Reference
Perilloux, C., Easton, J., & Buss, D. (2012). The misperception of sexual interest.
Psychological Science, 23(2), pp,146‐151.
Read the starter reference and in the end, it should have a whole heap of references used. Look at those, see if any of them are useful, they might lead you to new places.

PsychINFO is most definitely the best place and best source. It will take you to a whole heap of different journals and give you quite a comprehensive view of the issue. Everyone likes peer reviewed articles because they show that people have checked over the research and methodology and found it to be good. In terms of finding information apart from using psychINFO, do as I suggested above and look at the reference lists at the conclusion of articles.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
PsychINFO is most definitely the best place and best source. It will take you to a whole heap of different journals and give you quite a comprehensive view of the issue. Everyone likes peer reviewed articles because they show that people have checked over the research and methodology and found it to be good. In terms of finding information apart from using psychINFO, do as I suggested above and look at the reference lists at the conclusion of articles.
Ok then :)

jet

Banned
HSC
In general whenever I'm writing an essay outside of an exam, I leave the introduction till last. It's inevitable that my opinion will change whilst I'm writing the body of the essay, so my introduction will always end up being modified at some point.

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
In general whenever I'm writing an essay outside of an exam, I leave the introduction till last. It's inevitable that my opinion will change whilst I'm writing the body of the essay, so my introduction will always end up being modified at some point.
I like this. :awesome:

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Here you go:

Use that as your bible. :wavey:

JRock

Browncoat
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
The aforementioned book:

Get yourself a copy of Burton - An Interactive Approach to Writing Essays and Reports in Psychology, or similar (Caleb would have suggested it at the start of sem). It's a book that goes through each step of the essay and reports (useful for second sem), and gives examples. Also details all APA referencing. You can pick up a copy at coop or second hand for about $30 and it's definitely worth it. Additionally, the library has several copies in the short loan section.

gettinbetter

HSC
Okay, thanks JRock.
BTW, this might sound stupid but I just need clarification...
Do we need to talk about the study in our essay ?

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, thanks JRock.
BTW, this might sound stupid but I just need clarification...
Do we need to talk about the study in our essay ?
That's the point of the essay: to critique the study and show through the use of other's findings whether the results are justified. It's a massive yes.

ruffshod

HSC
ok so im confused. ive written my draught essay and im pretty sure its wrong.

i dont exactly understand how to 'approach' the question, do we just link the discussion to the results because it says "are their claims and conclusions justified by their findings?" and if thats what we are suppose to do, how do we include other references?
my draught essay is all over the place and i dont know how to fix it :/

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
ok so im confused. ive written my draught essay and im pretty sure its wrong.

i dont exactly understand how to 'approach' the question, do we just link the discussion to the results because it says "are their claims and conclusions justified by their findings?" and if thats what we are suppose to do, how do we include other references?
my draught essay is all over the place and i dont know how to fix it :/
When's the essay due? You can send me your draft if you like and I'll make some suggestions

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
Ok so if the question is:
Perilloux, Easton, and Buss (2012) investigated sex differences in the perception of sexual interest and claim to have found support for a short‐term mating strategy in men with evolutionary origins. Are their claims and conclusions justified by their findings?

...then should i focus more on talking about the sexual interest or the short-term mating strategy in men in the essay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)