Psychology at UNSW/USyd? (1 Viewer)

specialjenny

HSC
This question may seem odd to be asked at this time after the main round has been offered.

I was offered my 1st preference BSci at UNSW to study psychology. But now wondering about Psychology at USyd.

So which is better?

Hope you all have the offers you wanted and good luck to everyone else who are waiting for the late/final rounds.

And thanks in advance.

gman03

HSC
Look at the options within the degree offered by both Uni. If they are similar then stick with the one you offered. This question is better to be answered by yourself.

A

adamsaclown

though you definitely won't go wrong with studying Psychology at UNSW. Not sure about the details of the degree, but they've got a very good Psych department, most of our (Usyd's) lecturers are from there.

I think in 2nd year at UNSW you must do 5 (6 credit points each) psych subjects whereas at USyd its 4, so I guess you get to choose a broader range of subjects at Usyd, but if its Psych you want to focus on, stick with UNSW.

Though if you're good enough to get into either of their TSPs, I've heard the one at USyd is more organised.

Last edited by a moderator:

specialjenny

HSC
Thanks boys for your advices. Much appreciated. Have a good day!

Btw, I will stick with UNSW.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
ive HEARD that UWS has the lowest unemployment rate of psychology graduates, whereas USYD has the 2nd lowest (only a 2% difference from the UWS rate i think) and MACQ and UNSW have a higher rate.

A

adamsaclown

phrred said:
but usyd seems the most popular which is retarded
yeah its a bit weird. their psych department seems to be trying hard to catch up though (by putting a lot of old unsw'ers at the top :p)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
goto macquarie

but out of the two... goto unsw... DEFINATELY

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I wouldnt touch USYD psych. All the decent lecturers and researchers left USYD in the 1980's for MQ because USYD was too slack at trying to keep up-to-date with current psychological findings, and kept their preoccupation with Freud. Therefore, while USYD generally has a nice rep attached to it in most things, psych isn't one of them.

If you have to choose between NSW and USYD, do NSW purely because USYD has such a bad name.

A

adamsaclown

ah damn thats what i've heard as well.

Hopefully the influx of UNSW lecturers will help change things at USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)