provisional entry to Med at UQ (1 Viewer)

Hurri

HSC
hey everyone! i'm filling in my QTAC as we speak and i've encountered a stumbling block.

I wish to gain a Year 12 Provisional Entry to UQ and on the site they say

Candidates must also lodge an application with the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC). This application is not for the MBBS program, but for the first UQ bachelor degree program.
I've already applied directly to the SoM at UQ so let's say if i was to get in, i'd do a 3 year science course of some sort.

If i don't get into Med i want to do a Law/Commerce degree. The trouble is, if i get a provisional entry, i want to do a short course and not a law degree followed by the mbbs. so i shouldn't place the law degee ahead of the science course in preferences.

sooo.... if i place my QTAC as this
1. <short 3 year course>
2. Law/commerce
3. ...
4. ...
etc

but i don't get the Provisional entry, does that leave me screwed doing a short 3 year course instead of the law course i want to do?

How should i put my preferences if my plan is as follows

..............................................i get a Provision Entry?
..............................YES......................................................NO............................
.............do 3 year course then mbbs!!.......................Do Law/Com....................

i don't think i made alot of sense. I, myself barely understand what i wrote. However, any helpful advice and tips would be great.

edit: had to fix up diagram lol

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) - submit an application to QTAC listing either the Bachelor of Arts program (QTAC code 707001) or the Bachelor of Science (QTAC code 731001) as a preference.

These are the only two "short 3 year" courses which are required to be considered for provisional entry.

Last edited:

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
They call it the double degree now. You can do BA/MBBS or BSc/MBBS in 6 years. 2 years of BA or BSc and 4 years of MBBS. With any other courses, it the standard course length plus the MBBS.

It's competitive, but you've got an edge (since you're from Brisbane).

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Just try for UNSW or UniMelb, the more elite schools if you are looking for prestige (picking a law degree as a backup)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
sikeveo said:
Just try for UNSW or UniMelb, the more elite schools if you are looking for prestige (picking a law degree as a backup)
I do not understand how your advice in any way answers his question, or for that matter provides help at all.

Depending on your expected OP, I would suggest putting Law first (if that's what you really want to do). If you get in, you can always change your preferences in the second round to get Science (should be no problem there) and if you don't you've got a course you like.

It shouldn't really matter though, since if you were serious about med you wouldn't be all that worried about having to go through the normal GMP application process. In that case you would just choose another course you like and go with it.

Regarding the "elite schools" of UNSW and UniMelb...times are changing. Melbourne produces elite researchers and academics, but relatively poor clinicians. As for UNSW, there are whispers of discontent from formidable numbers of staff, students and even key academics as well as clinical instructors (ie the consultants who teach you) and practitioners in the surrounding community. Prestige takes decades to move, but course quality takes only a single syllabus overhaul to demolish.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UQ is good in the scheme of things... id hardly put it down as non-elite.. esp for medicine.. and science is another strength..
its has both a progressive and established course.. longer than some of the other 'elite' unis have implemented
if u were talking about the smaller boutique unis.. mabbe.. but this aint the case wit UQ..

go for sumfing u would enjoy..BLaw/BComm would be fine Pre-med..
I kno a guy who's brother did it .. and he got the GPA and is now at Usyd GMP yr 2 :)

PopcornPixie

i throw popcorn at u! >:)
HSC
Law is difficult to get higher marks in, at the same time being a lot of work. But if you choose a good degree to combine it with, your marks should be ok.

I'm not sure how the combined law degrees work at UQ, but at Usyd, it's mainly the other degree that is studied during the first three years. During this time, if you feel you cannot cope with the work load, or find you're not enjoying law, you can drop it and keep your second degree, and finish it faster.

=)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Come to think of it, I think the reason I got decent marks last year was not so much my hard work (since I didn't really work much) but the fact that Science is not very competitive. Thus I am inclined to agree that law would be a risky choice, unless you're ready for the hard work. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)