Provisional Accreditation (1 Viewer)

MJRey

HSC
Hey guys,

I've been told by my uni that the new major they've introduced as of this year needs to be provisionally accredited, and I heard that the process to making it fully accredited will take about 5 years. I've looked around and saw that provisional accreditation means you don't meet international accords and that I would need to sit an extra competency test, so I really want to know, will this will impact my future as an engineer or not?

I'm not exactly interested in the other majors which are fully accredited, and I just feel like I'd be stupid to not take the major (Nuclear Systems) while I'm at uni because I'd have to either go overseas for an undergrad nuclear program or pick something else. Plus, if this major gets off the ground, my uni will be the only one in the country that offers an undergrad nuclear engineering program.

cossine

HSC
Hey guys,

I've been told by my uni that the new major they've introduced as of this year needs to be provisionally accredited, and I heard that the process to making it fully accredited will take about 5 years. I've looked around and saw that provisional accreditation means you don't meet international accords and that I would need to sit an extra competency test, so I really want to know, will this will impact my future as an engineer or not?

I'm not exactly interested in the other majors which are fully accredited, and I just feel like I'd be stupid to not take the major (Nuclear Systems) while I'm at uni because I'd have to either go overseas for an undergrad nuclear program or pick something else. Plus, if this major gets off the ground, my uni will be the only one in the country that offers an undergrad nuclear engineering program.
no impact. As a double check you can look at jobs and see if there is an impact. Generally speaking accreditation does not matter. What matters is if the skills you learn are valuable.

MJRey

HSC
no impact. As a double check you can look at jobs and see if there is an impact. Generally speaking accreditation does not matter. What matters is if the skills you learn are valuable.
Thank you so much! Are you an engineer?

wizzkids

HSC
Accreditation matters if you are looking to have your qualifications recognised by a Professional Engineering Institution (such as IE Aust or the American Nuclear Society) and it might have an effect if you apply for a post-grad placement overseas. As far as entering the workforce goes, it would have no effect in my opinion.

MJRey

HSC
Accreditation matters if you are looking to have your qualifications recognised by a Professional Engineering Institution (such as IE Aust or the American Nuclear Society) and it might have an effect if you apply for a post-grad placement overseas. As far as entering the workforce goes, it would have no effect in my opinion.
Ok, thanks! So I if I wanted to apply to somewhere like ANSTO, Frazer-Nash or Mott McDonald I'd be ok with provisional accreditation?

MJRey

HSC
And if I really needed to be fully accredited, could I just do the competency test after I graduate and I'd be good to go?

wizzkids

HSC
Yes, almost certainly if your degree is from a respected Australian University you won't have a problem. Accreditation is all about the planning and execution by the University. It's not you that needs to be accredited. It's the faculty, their curriculum, their assessment practices and their lecturers that needs to be accredited, and this process does take time to accumulate the evidence to prove that they are capable of maintaining quality outcomes.

Last edited:

Duskheaven

HSC
Ok, thanks! So I if I wanted to apply to somewhere like ANSTO, Frazer-Nash or Mott McDonald I'd be ok with provisional accreditation?
For ANSTO, 100% you would be fine.

ANSTO has various programs for high school students and university students. These are reasonably easy to obtain if you contact AINSE/ANSTO representative at your university - though I guess it depends on your university's internal system. (Done 2 at Uni myself)

Sydney Quantum Academy is also something you might want to look into for your internship. (obtained this)

^Being proactive and doing this sort of thing is more important than your grades.

Can't imagine accreditation ever being an issue.

I'm MechEng, Chemistry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)