• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prove and Show (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
Hello everybody,i was wondering whats the main difference between the verbs prove and show?when it says shows does that mean we can always assume that the statement is true... Eg on 2004 paper Q8 biii. in my book the answers just assume the statement is right to show that a coordinate lies on a tangent.Thanks

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Prove usually means you have to derive the proof. Show usually means you just sub in values (like proving point A lies on line bla bla) or there are various ways of doing it which may involve using graphs and short explanations. But for 2U, show usually means subbing in :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In any prove/show question you CANNOT assume the statement is true. You're actually trying to work your way towards the statement not take it for granted. Basically these types of questions involve rigorous mathematical arguments to convince you/marker that some statement is true.
Assuming it is true isn't very convincing...lol

micuzzo

HSC
In any prove/show question you CANNOT assume the statement is true. You're actually trying to work your way towards the statement not take it for granted. Basically these types of questions involve rigorous mathematical arguments to convince you/marker that some statement is true.
Assuming it is true isn't very convincing...lol
yer thats what i thought... only thing is on the Q i mentioned in the original post the answers just assume its true to show a point lies on a line...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)