Protest (2 Viewers)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
discuss.

plz explain lah? what's this protest about. howard isn't in charge, I thought that eliminates protests.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hey let's end student poverty by slugging them all with a $600 fee

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Personally I just hung around for an hour so I could taunt the police, don't really give a fuck about the issues of the protest.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
well they want to ABOLISH both full fees AND hecs, so $600 wouldn't be so much in their ideal world :D
abolishing full fee's makes things worse for the average student. Do you not understand that full fee students money helps make ends meet at universities..

Why should students be forced to pay $600? they shouldn't. I think its excellent that they have the choice to pay $99. Im not bagging the union here, i think the Student Union is excellent and i am proud to be an access card holder. But i believe it is a fundamental human right for an individual to choose who they associate or not associate with.

Raven3333 said:
Personally I just hung around for an hour so I could taunt the police, don't really give a fuck about the issues of the protest.
Thats not very nice. You could atleast have stuck up for the motorists that wern't happy at being stuck in the traffic jam behind the NUS Protest rather then make the Police's job harder for them.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Ruby and I were walking to a lecture and we saw a police car parked in a handicapped spot!!!!!!

B

Bulbasaur

counterprotest ?

As in you want to abolish VSU?

I hope to god not

Evan11

HSC
see half the ppl dont even know what the protest was about...they just jumped right on the bandwaggon..."free shirt, uhhh ok sure why not!"

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
there is a rather simple solution in my humble and un-researched mind.

-increase HECS offset the cost of losing full-fee paying and to fund student services.
-however in addition to above have HECS-"discounts" for degrees that are currently in demand in the workforce or alternatively give discounts who participate in jobs that have shortages for a specified period of time
-standardize uni admissions accross all unis (including UAIs), also include interviews and degree-specific tests to make sure that A) only people who should be at uni are and those that are in the right course for them - thereby making the places at uni more "valuable" to the community at large. further to this there should be 3-yearly evaluations of degrees at each uni to make sure they are being taught to the required standard, otherwise unis should not be able to offer them

i dunno if that makes any sense, but thats how i reckon it should be. that or free university education, but like 1/4 of the places and making them extremley competitive and channel more funds to TAFE and vocational ed.

Evan11

HSC
townie said:
there is a rather simple solution in my humble and un-researched mind.

-increase HECS offset the cost of losing full-fee paying and to fund student services.
-however in addition to above have HECS-"discounts" for degrees that are currently in demand in the workforce or alternatively give discounts who participate in jobs that have shortages for a specified period of time
-standardize uni admissions accross all unis (including UAIs), also include interviews and degree-specific tests to make sure that A) only people who should be at uni are and those that are in the right course for them - thereby making the places at uni more "valuable" to the community at large. further to this there should be 3-yearly evaluations of degrees at each uni to make sure they are being taught to the required standard, otherwise unis should not be able to offer them

i dunno if that makes any sense, but thats how i reckon it should be. that or free university education, but like 1/4 of the places and making them extremley competitive and channel more funds to TAFE and vocational ed.
you can pay my extra hecs debt then...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
how many % of your income do you pay off per year, once you hit the HECS repayment threshhold?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hawt. this excites me. ill be making my money in singapore, and then when i reenter Australia, I could actually afford to have some of my income contributed towards HECS. in fact, I could probably put what I have saved towards it and get the early payment discount

Evan11

HSC
stazi said:
hawt. this excites me. ill be making my money in singapore, and then when i reenter Australia, I could actually afford to have some of my income contributed towards HECS. in fact, I could probably put what I have saved towards it and get the early payment discount
i didnt know that singapore had such a big market for gay whores! staz make sure u wear protection, you dont want to be giving them anything

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
townie said:
That probably makes the most sense, but everyone that cries that uni should be free would also cry that not everyone gets a chance.

Tbh I have no qualms with the current system. :/

HSC
lol I didn't even realise that a protest was on...my classes went straight through from 10-2, so I didn't really get to see the whole police-manning-the-Quadrangle-Fisher-area-against-crazy-protestors.

I wonder when the last time a student protest achieved anything was?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
At the end of the day I have no control whatsoever over the university system in Australia

neither do you.

so I work and pay my fees upfront and I'm glad I have access to tertiary education

Is this too difficult for people to understand? :D

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Oh, so that's what all those cops outside UTS were doing. I didn't see many at all at usyd, but maybe that's because i came in late yesterday...protest may have moved on already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)