Protest the forbes Global Ceo Conference (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
WHY SHOULD I PROTEST?

From 30 August 2005 one of the world's richest men Steve Forbes and NSW Premier Bob Carr will host the fifth annual Forbes Global CEO Conference, to be opened by Prime Minister John Howard at a swanky cocktail event at the Sydney Opera House.

For two and a half days the Opera House will be taken over by more than 300 CEOs - representing some of the world's biggest war profiteers, environmental vandals and corporate crooks. Like the World Trade Organisation and the World Economic Forum, the Global CEO Conference is a means of promoting economic and social policies that benefit the rich and the powerful at the expense of the majority of the world's people and the environment.

A $5000 a head event restricted to top executives means that you're not invited - but you can come anyway by joining the 30A protests. By mobilising in big numbers on 30A we can show that the Forbes CEO Conference and the policies that it represents are not going ahead unopposed.

Below are seven reasons to join the protest of the Forbes Global CEO Conference from 30 August – 1 September.

1) BECAUSE the occupation of Iraq is illegal.
It benefits US and Australian corporations, not the people of Iraq.

Bring the troops home from Iraq and end support for Bush’s imperialism
The $55 million a day of our taxes spent on the military would be better spent fighting poverty and disadvantage
Don’t let war profiteers like Bearing Point and warmongers like John Howard and Steve Forbes party in our
opera house – they have the blood of 100,000 Iraqis on their hands
The Project for a New American Century will be disastrous for the people of all countries

2)BECAUSE Howard’s industrial relations plans are a payoff to his big business patrons.

Our working rights will not be sacrificed for even fatter corporate profits – up 20% last year
Workers need to be in unions to defend themselves – workers in unions earn 15% more
At $12.30 per hour, minimum wages are already too low
It’s a bit rich for CEOs to tell workers to tighten their belts when they ‘earned’ $4.6 million each last year

3) BECAUSE it’s time to unite for our common human rights, and
not be conned by Howard’s divide and rule tactics.

Close the refugee detention camps and stop the deportations – asylum seekers need protection
Let the ordinary people of the world move as freely as these corporate millionaires
There is no place for racism in Australian society

4) BECAUSE our global wealth should be shared, not controlled by
a tiny minority.

Drop poor country debt and bring in fair trade – 1.2 billion people struggle on less than $1/day
Workers in all countries should be able to organise for dignity at work
Share technology and know how to solve global problems – no patents on essential drugs

5)BECAUSE it’s over time to get real about Global Warming.

Australia must sign the Kyoto Protocol as a first step towards a clean energy society
Nuclear energy can never be a safe alternative to fossil fuels
Our taxes should be spent on rapidly developing sustainable technologies

6)BECAUSE policy ought to be for public need not corporate greed.

Democracy needs openness, not confidential deals with corporations
Public services benefit everyone, whereas the market benefits the rich and powerful
It’s a crime that one hundred thousand people are homeless in this rich country

7)BECAUSE the First Nations of Australia demand truth and justice.

Aboriginal people should be at the front of the queue for rights and services
A treaty with the Aboriginal people is essential to harmony in Australia

http://www.30a.org/

Note: Ill bump this twice over 20 days, then bump it ever second day untill the night before. I also won't answer or take care of moronic post or poor attempts at satire or sarcasm that is post in this thread up untill the day, maybe after then.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
The only point that I can take issue with at the current time is that of a treaty being required between the anglo-celtic liberal democracy and the indigenous country groups that are still in existence. There needs to a replacement for ATSIC, but a treaty isn't the answer, and I doubt that it's legally possible, anyway.

As for the rest, fight the power. However, you should update the part concerning the Premier of NSW sometime tomorrow (after Carr resigns and Iemma takes his place). It may help in avoiding some of those moronic posts :).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Its beacuse of these CEOs that our standard of living is what it is.

Quit whining and do something more productive on AUgust 30

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Work for ten hours or so and give what you earn to a needy cause?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Comrade nathan said:

The $55 million a day of our taxes spent on the military would be better spent fighting poverty and disadvantage
Don’t let war profiteers like Bearing Point and warmongers like John Howard and Steve Forbes party in our
The Project for a New American Century will be disastrous for the people of all countries
Just on this note, the American and Australian troops will leave when the Iraqi government requests it, the Iraqi government doesn't want us in there longer then necessary.

Obviously suicide bombings and the like seem to slow the progress to get Americans out.

Attack at will the corporations if you believe that they are making too much profit, but the troops are needed.

Moronic post point: Where is reason number 2?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Moronic post point: Where is reason number 2?
You quoted it, I believe (bringing the troops home and the legality of the Iraqi 'occupation' seem to be two separate points rather than one).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ahh I thought it was just following on with what they want done about it as to the other points.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Generator said:
You quoted it, I believe (bringing the troops home and the legality of the Iraqi 'occupation' seem to be two separate points rather than one).
Fixed now...

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Minimum wages are some of the highest in the world. I am all for deregulation of the labour market, eventually it will find a good equilibrium according to the laws of supply and demand.

There always seems to be those who are willing to go out and make something of themselves and then those who just whinge about others that are more successful than themselves.

Public services do not 'benefit everyone' in a lot of cases they hinder those who work hard and help those who don't.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Are the CEOs going to hear any speakers about corporate responsibility at their event?

I am a little concerned that these protests will turn violent/bad... but I may attend, if only to write a journalism story about it. I think though that it is good to have a presence and remind those CEOs who hold such high positions of power in the world today that they should face some kind of accountability to the people impacted by their way of doing business.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Comrade nathan said:

You'd suggest we withdraw immediately, leaving Iraq in a state of anarchy where extreme followers of Islam will eventually prevail, creating a nation both utterly opressive to its own people and overtly hostile to any non-Islamic states?

2)BECAUSE Howard’s industrial relations plans are a payoff to his big business patrons.

Our working rights will not be sacrificed for even fatter corporate profits – up 20% last year
Workers need to be in unions to defend themselves – workers in unions earn 15% more
At $12.30 per hour, minimum wages are already too low
It’s a bit rich for CEOs to tell workers to tighten their belts when they ‘earned’ $4.6 million each last year
They're also a payoff to people who run very small businesses of 10 employees or less, or farmers, who as the laws stand must continue to employ people who they do not need because of a reduction in demand for their trade or whatever. It is also a payoff to those who are willing to work harder to get themselves into a position to negotiate a better contract.

3) BECAUSE it’s time to unite for our common human rights, and
not be conned by Howard’s divide and rule tactics.

Close the refugee detention camps and stop the deportations – asylum seekers need protection
Let the ordinary people of the world move as freely as these corporate millionaires
There is no place for racism in Australian society
So you would have people who do not qualify as legitimate refugees to enter our country without appropriate quarantine or checks?

4) BECAUSE our global wealth should be shared, not controlled by
a tiny minority.

Drop poor country debt and bring in fair trade – 1.2 billion people struggle on less than $1/day
Workers in all countries should be able to organise for dignity at work
Share technology and know how to solve global problems – no patents on essential drugs
The majority have money because they are the best at ensuring that it is used properly. If we gave every individual man the same amount of money, power and control over industry then the division of labour would be ineffective without anyone to coordinate the labourers' activities.
5)BECAUSE it’s over time to get real about Global Warming.

Australia must sign the Kyoto Protocol as a first step towards a clean energy society
Nuclear energy can never be a safe alternative to fossil fuels
Our taxes should be spent on rapidly developing sustainable technologies
Please elaborate. Why is nuclear power not safe?
6)BECAUSE policy ought to be for public need not corporate greed.

Democracy needs openness, not confidential deals with corporations
Public services benefit everyone, whereas the market benefits the rich and powerful
It’s a crime that one hundred thousand people are homeless in this rich country
There are always going to be homeless, the situation is unavoidable. Overall our aim should be to strengthen the economy to lower the cost of goods and services so that we can prevent homelessness increasing.
7)BECAUSE the First Nations of Australia demand truth and justice.

Aboriginal people should be at the front of the queue for rights and services
A treaty with the Aboriginal people is essential to harmony in Australia
Equality, yes. Equality+1, no.

Comrade nathan

HSC
There is no point in trying to invest any truth into hippies like this
Im not a hippie. I don't not like the lifestyle and believe that they do not have a clear motive for the leftist movement, and deviate from its main stream.

I don't know how you get off on publishing this shit,
I didn't write this, i just am going to show my support. I am posting it so the 5% on this board who may be interested may go.

I said i wouldn't respond to moron post, but this is to much. I'm not going to let someone call me a hippie.

You are probally more of a hippie with your christian views about afterlife, heaven and angels, then me with my materialist views of matter and only matter. So fuck off you hippie.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
couldnt have said it better waf.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I assume Bob carr is no longer hosting it

Comrade nathan

HSC
Deus said:
I assume Bob carr is no longer hosting it
Probally not.

Are you going? Im going to be there on the 31st for the whole day mostly.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
haha apparently hardly anybody turned up....

They wanted 10 000 they've only got 450 so far.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's because, as I said, the communists can't coordinate their labour force:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)