Pros, Cons (1 Viewer)

CasaNovo

HSC
N/A
Hey hows it goin,
Can some people give me feedback on doing double degrees, really no idea. But from what i gather it's doing two major's, with one being a sub-major. What's it like?

Pro's:
Two degree's

Con's:
Time and lack of it
Lot of work

Help appreciated thx.
Cheers,

Generator

HSC
N/A
It doesn't involve any more work than a regular degree, apart from the extra years... You still do the, say, 48 credit points per year that everyone else does...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
It doesn't involve any more work than a regular degree, apart from the extra years... You still do the, say, 48 credit points per year that everyone else does...
yeah, if anything it saves us time since ur gettin' two degrees. :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Any uni students going to comment on this? Because it sounds highly suspect at the moment. I would assume the fact that you are doing two degrees (and hence two potentially unrelated fields of study) the work would be more demanding despite the equivalent number of credit points.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Any uni students going to comment on this? Because it sounds highly suspect at the moment. I would assume the fact that you are doing two degrees (and hence two potentially unrelated fields of study) the work would be more demanding despite the equivalent number of credit points.

na the fields are not gonna b that "unrelated" , i reckon there r gonna b overlapping subjects.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I am doing a bsc/ba at the University of Sydney... The join date for each member should give you a guide as to how old the person may be.

A double degree merely 'removes' a number of the relatively free credit points and directs those towards another degree.
In addition, you tend to finish one degree while completing the first year of the other, so there is no real conflict between the higher years.

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
You do several unrelated topics at school? If anything it makes uni far more interesting because the reason you would be doing a double degree is because you have varied interests. You also make a lot more friends since you're in 2 faculties rather than 1. I do comm/law right, and as much as i enjoy commerce, i reckon i'd have gone mad if i had to commerce on its own - law subjects add a bit of an added edge and make it much more interesting.

Double degrees though wouldn't be for everyone. Only do it if you genuinely have an interest in both degrees, or else thats just foolish - and some people prefer to just focus on one thing at a time (tho i don't sort of sit down and go, omg law, how can i think about that now, my head's filled with commerce. so i don't know how valid that may be as a criticism :rolleyes: )

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
na the fields are not gonna b that "unrelated" , i reckon there r gonna b overlapping subjects.
Like I said, it depends on which double degree you do. What if you're doing med/arts? Where are the overlapping subjects?

Timmii, I see what you mean. Of course, we are told the workload is much heavier in uni (second year up of course) and hearing that makes me shiver, because I had enough trouble not doing all the work I had for year 12.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Double Degrees have their benefits because it can give you more variation with the subjects you're doing each semester, because instead of doing 2 macroeconomics related subjects and 2 management related subjects, you can throw in a bit of contract law etc to vary it, because theres nothing worse than a semester where you hate all your subjects because they're all the same...
Doing a double degree can shorten the length of time needed because you can do individual subjects which overlap with each course saving you a maximum of 64 credit points (at UOW, may very from uni to uni) which is equal to about a year and a bit.

Only do a double degree if you have a purpose for doing it, why spend that extra time at uni completing a second degree when you're not going to use it...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not all degrees are designd to be used. Learning for the sake of learning is another valid reason for taking a double degree.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Precisely. I'm looking at International Studies as a way to enrich my love of language, not because of all the WONDERFUL job oppurtunities it provides! :rolleyes:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Precisely. I'm looking at International Studies as a way to enrich my love of language, not because of all the WONDERFUL job oppurtunities it provides! :rolleyes:
Exactly, you'll be doing that extra degree and using it to enrich your love of language... my point was that doing a commerce/creative arts double just because you could be accepted into even though you have no reason for doing a creative arts degree is pointless, just make sure theres a reason behind doing a degree, just not because you can be accepted into it, unless you're using it as a base to transfer from.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, that's advice too many people need to hear. Like those "I wanna do law because I can" kids. :(

aspect

the only way its "more" work in any particular year is if you consider doing varied subjects more work, but the same number of courses/credits are still done

in terms of total work yes its more because you actually do more credit points because you have to stay an extra year or two

if you are doing straight degree, you _might_ find lots of the subjects are related and hence "easier" to study

of course this has its problems like being boring but of course you would like to have picked a degree that you _dont_ find boring

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)