property law essay (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
First one on economy. I have so much more to say than the 6 pages will allow. it sucks. I've had to cut it down to its horrible bare basics. I dont even give any background to the three systems and so it seems all horrible and messy.

I want to die. I hate this. But not as much as I hate those const questions :mad:

HSC
yes we do, unfortunately, and quickly - it's due right after this weekend

hug for mj!! good to see u again gorgeous! now where is iwr?

u're doing better than i am - i've only just started and am still working my way through the readings. i'm doing the same one, and yes there's heaps of info - have u done additional research?

don't feel bad u'll get there we always do! how are u approaching the question? i'm saying yes they are kind of incompatible, but there is some room for compromise

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I've just finished it then... I hope. I'm so over it! *cries* I've been working on it non-stop since Tuesday... A whole 3 days work, but its just so stressful and crap!

I did do additional readings, not that it helped much. I was on a roll until I realised that I hadn't yet 1.5 spaced my lines and had already written 4 pages.... Sigh... So all my additional research pretty much went out the window, except for two quotes from Thompson :rolleyes:

I basically said that they are incompatible, but kinda hinted at the fact that it depends on the climate of the population, so pretty much as you did - there is room to compromise. Not that i had much room to talk about it :(

How are you structuring it? I spent heaps of time trying to work out just how to fit it all together because it seems so circular. So, in the end, I just defined the economy and property etc. in the beginning and then broke it down into two kinda main points to do with why they are incompatible. I found it easier that way so I could crap on about the cases - there are so many to cover! And did you mention Att v Brown, although it wasnt necessary? I thought we needed it because its talking about original capitalist notions of property, and then theres that Miriippsuslsls case which kinda just backs it up.

Gah! My head is about to explode!

.... And it is odd that iwr isnt on here yet... Maybe give him until Monday arvo? ;)

I love having you here!!

HSC
thanks mj i love having u on board too! i wish we'd gotten to write it together though damn ur efficiency!!
i'm not entirely certain, but i think i'm first going theory - talking about the diffs which will let me define each of them briefly without crapping on - then i'm going to go into att v brown (which yes i think it's a good idea to incorporate it's relevant and in the readings and relates to the mir. case) - then talk about how certain recent decisions have tended towards compromise - mabo etc. not sure i can be bothered to do the additional readings - were any of them particularly worth looking into/ignoring? also i'm kind of stuck on how much additional research we're ALLOWED to do - i wouldn't mind getting the odd bit from a journal article, or even just sourcing the odd statistic outside the readings just to back up my own opinions - but i'm not sure we're actually allowed to do that - i'm especially keen on incorporating some of the stuff from ch. 1 in our property book (the theories of Locke etc) but don't think we're meant to go there either (sigh). did u view the peasant economy as somewhat communist (or at least communitarian?) - i meant i know that wasn't the idea behind it as such but functionally the two seem similar and then i can bring ideas from that school of thought (in opposition to evil capitalism lol)... not sure though. work in progress!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
It sounds as though you're having the same line of thought as I am which is always good to hear!! I'm not alone! I think we can do as much extra research as we want, but we wont get extra marks for having them... does that make sense? Because its "not a research essay", but, lets face it, every essay is to an extent! I also used some stuff from the text, but used their stuff on mabo. What did you get from Ward? I got a whole lot of nothingness - I just dont see its significance! So I just referred to it in like 2 sentences, talking about the Native Title Act and thats it! I hope thats right!

With the peasant economy, I viewed it as a more developed communal system - so like the Aboriginals in that sense, but much more advanced in practise (eg. farming) and sharing, and actually had defined property laws, which kinda helped my argument about ideological developments - from communal, to a hid-point, and then to evil capitalism!

I'm so sorry hun, but I've gotta fly! I'm spending the weekend at Manly - yay! But not so yay because we'll have no net and that means I'm stuck having to research const and finish property.

Have a good easter, darling! :D

iwannarock

HSC
fear not fellow property law people i am here at last.

wow it seems like everyone is doing that question. i dont know anybody doing the other one. hmmmmmmm.

i plan to be a good boy and do my readings today.

heres my plan. reading make notes today and make a plan on sunday (by golly yes i'm actually gonna try and have a plan for once) then commence writing monday on to tuesday at 4pm where i leave to go hand it in.

oh yes and i love you guys too, and not because you do law like me, but because you're all dead sexy!

time for sleepy town nap nap. long arduous days ahead.

HSC
yay iwr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how are u gorgeous?!

*organ crushing hug*

i don't know anyone doing the second one either - i was going to do it but i didn't like the flow of the essay as i saw it so i swapped - plus i didn't think my answer to that question was the one they were looking for was going to argue its relevance to social structure rather than legal evolution

and don't worry - i'm still doing the readings too... will finish eventually... or die trying...

HSC
where are u darling?
it's the day before... we should be stressing and writing this bitch together...

iwannarock

HSC
in about 10mins im gonna go lock myself in my room and make myself get to work.

all i did was procrastinate this weekend.

i'll be back at around 6. hopefully by then i will know what i'm talking about.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hey dudes! How are you going?

I've just... ahem... "found" someones unsecured wireless network where I'm staying and decided to come see how you're all going!

I'm so over it, I havent really worked on it all weekend, I'm at the stage where I dont want to read it ever again. Ever. I just want a P. I hope I've answered the question :(

HSC
MaryJane!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so freaked out the sum total of what i've written is a crappy introduction... i just can't seem to answer this stupid question - i keep changing the order in which i plan to address it...
think i'm going to cry. but too inefficient so don't think it's a good idea.
this question looked so easy when i first looked at it. damn it. damn it all!!!
and u are a very clever girl with a finished essay - i am sure that u will do fine!
arrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwannarock

HSC
i just turned on word. i have a general idea of what im doing. im gonna wing it as i go because i haven't read some cases like ward, and asome of the later articles.

im just gonna set it out intro then peasant vs capitalist economy.....incompatible and the calls for enclosure evidence of this..........then abo vs capitalist.......basically incompatible (same sort of communal ownership of land as peasant) although the mabo case offers legal proof that the property laws of each can sort of co-exist then some airy fairy conclusion.

hopefully im on the right track.

iwannarock

HSC
MJ how many words was yours?

this 6 pages thing is deceptive. does it still turn up around 2000 words?

HSC
that's what my criminal law one worked out to be when i changed it to this format
it's weird tho some of my friends reckon it works out to be 1700. how far are u iwr?

iwannarock

HSC
about 700 words.

its quantity though. not quality. this is tough.

HSC
isn't it just.
i'm only 300 words into it i keep changing my essay structure man this sucks

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Sorry guys for the late reply!!

Scarecrow, I know the structure sucks. It basically doesnt exist, but you have to piece it together somehow. Basically, I just went through a comparison of the three through two "central" factors of inconsistency which I pulled out of my ass and I hope I dont get done for plagerism :(

6 pages for me was pretty much exactly 2000 words. I like working with pages rather than word limits because you know exactly how much more you have to bs for :)

In less than 12 hours time it will all be over. I know its not a really comforting thought, but it will be.

And then we can move on to const. Oh my.

iwannarock

HSC
is there a need to discuss peasant economy and aboriginal as mutually incompatable?

from what i gather from the question i'm doing it as peasant vs capital and aboriginal vs capital.

i will definetly not have room to discuss whether peasant and aboriginal are unable to co-exist together. they're rather similar in their arguments against capitalist views anyway aren't they?

gaaaaaaah!

iwannarock

HSC
ok i just finished.

skim reading and spell checking.

i didnt really compare aboriginal and peasant i basically said they were similar and had the same opposition to capitalist economies.

and i didnt mention the ward case didnt have the room nor saw the significance.

and my mabo reference was short.

it just ended in a confuddled mess.

i hope i've done this right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)